• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating EVAP canister on 97+

I just moved mine right over the blower motor for the HVAC. Everything seems to be working fine. I just zip tied min in place until i decided if i liked it there and if it worked out in that position.

I'm talking about the black box under the vehicle on the drivers side as seen here.
fm3861.jpg

is this the "charcoal canister" thing? what is its function...

my '97 has it in the engine bay, my buddies '98 has it in the location you showed.

The EVAP system collects fuel vapor, holding it in the charcoal cannister until it is purged back into the intake manifold. This is all part of emmisions to prevent vapor from being released into the atmosphere. At least thats my understanding of it by the description in the FSM.

I ended up going w a fuel cell, and a vent line. Just deleated all of it. Runs fine, but yes I do / did have a check engine light before I trashed the gauge cluster too.

As long as you loop your purge valve with a rubber line you shouldnt get a cel. That's what I ended up doing with no issues. I took mine out when I built my traction bar

Last edited:
I ended up going w a fuel cell, and a vent line. Just deleated all of it. Runs fine, but yes I do / did have a check engine light before I trashed the gauge cluster too.

RoyalXJ said:
As long as you loop your purge valve with a rubber line you shouldnt get a cel. That's what I ended up doing with no issues. I took mine out when I built my traction bar
Thanks both of you. RoyalXJ, are you talking about the two vacuum lines attached to the purge valve? I loop one into the other? I'm not quite understanding what I should be removing vs connecting. I take it you removed the canister and the entire plastic tube that runs along the frame rail to the engine compartment... from there I know it connects back to a metal line but I didn't follow that up to see where that runs (will have to check next time I am out there).

If I can remove it and loop it like you said that will be good because I can't have a CEL on or it won't pass emissions (I still want to drive it on the street).

Back