• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44

bonesxj

NAXJA Forum User
How much should a Dana 44 that needs a brake job cost. It came from a 2001 XJ and will go into a 1989 XJ, also will this be a bolt in job with no mods needed..

Typically $350-$550 maybe more if it has an aftermarket locker. The drive shaft will need to be shortened (about 2" if you're replacing a 35).

How much should a Dana 44 that needs a brake job cost. It came from a 2001 XJ and will go into a 1989 XJ, also will this be a bolt in job with no mods needed..

The 2001 XJ's did not come with a D44. They all were given an 8.25 in the back and a D30 up front. Some XJ and MJ in the mid 1980's did come with D44 in the back. All had D30 in the front. I would say someone transplanted that D44 into the 2001 XJ. Is that front or rear?
In South Florida, a D44 from an XJ or MJ sell as is for $100.00 all day, you pull it your self. You get 50% off on 50% off days. I got one from a 1986 MJ now sitting in my back yard then a few days later a friend gave me one from an XJ also 1986 which I used as a transplant for the tired 8.25.

Typically $350-$550 maybe more if it has an aftermarket locker. The drive shaft will need to be shortened (about 2" if you're replacing a 35).

It all depends on where you're from. Around here one would pay $200-$300 for that.

I replaced the D35 and transplanted a D44 in my 95 last week. It is stock, but I didn't have to shorten the DS. I paid $250 and it needed rebuilt pretty bad, another $250 in parts. It bolts right in, if from another Cherokee.

Last edited:
Back