• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can Wrangler Rubicon JK shocks/springs be used for a lift?

i have heard that the sport/sahara will work, but the rubicons are different.

I read that you can use them on the 2 door jk for a 2-3inch lift(which I will do if they dont fit the xj)

Shocks will, you will need to press out the sleeves and install either bar pins or use BPE's

I have JK lift springs in my XJ. They fit fine. They're aftermarket, though. The aftermarket springs are spec'd for any JK, Rubicon included. There's no appreciable difference in the geometry of the coils from XJ to JK.

i run them in the rear of mine and im at 4.5". the fronts are good for 3" max and at that you will have very little down travel. i tried the fronts and ended up buying front shocks to fit my 4" lift.

Just did this to replace my worn rustys 3" shocks, these had about 1" less length at full extension than what I had from rustys. The old shocks were done and my ride was pretty bad, these rubicon(red) shocks are a little stiff but still a better ride than what I had. Pretty straight forward swap, push out all the lower pins(I dont have BPEs, but I'm ordering them because I want that inch of travel back.) and I used the JK front upper bushings and rear bar pins and they both fit the xj mounts fine. My lift was a 3" spring pack kit, but ever since I put it in(4 years ago) it sat raked, sitting at least an inch lower in the front, so I added (2) 5/8" factory isolators(3 all together) to level it out. My measurements now are right at 4 1/4" all around measuring from center of center cap to bottom of flare. Long story short I would say these are really only good for 2-3" of lift and not up to 4", unless you run BPEs that will give you another inch. But for the cost of one nitrogen shock, I'll can deal with these for a while.

I realize this is an old thread, but it comes up high on a Google search, so I thought I'd add a comparison picture of the stock XJ springs, JK Rubicon springs, and the aftermarket Moog CC782 [heavy duty, variable rate] springs.

IMG_20130308_170936_zpsb75c158e.jpg

...note that Rockauto sells the CC782's for $55/pair plus s/h (price as of March 2013). Also, in my '96 XJ, with a ~70 lb Warn brush guard, and JK Rubi red shocks, the Moogs were exactly 1 inch taller than the original factory height under load (I measured the height using the factory top-of-axle-to-frame method); they might measure a slightly taller lift w/o the brush guard.

...IMHO, the JK Rubi coils probably shouldn't be on anyone's list of possibilities as an XJ replacement spring. They're somewhat less in height unloaded, they have one less turn, and the wire is thinner than the OEM springs. (If you're trying to lower your suspension however ....)

The JK shocks are a different matter: they can be a good deal for a tight-money, budget lift ...they are firm (whatever that means to you lol), but I wouldn't hesitate to consider their use again. And I concur about ease of modifying them: even for a neophyte like me, it was no big deal.

Last edited:
...note that Rockauto sells the CC782's for $55/pair plus s/h (price as of March 2013). Also, in my '96 XJ, with a ~70 lb Warn brush guard, and JK Rubi red shocks, the Moogs were exactly 1 inch taller than the original factory height under load (I measured the height using the factory top-of-axle-to-frame method); they might measure a slightly taller lift w/o the brush guard.

Any word on how stiff these springs are?

I am running non-Rubicon JK shocks on my XJ with 4.25"/4.5" lift. They ride pretty nice. I have not measured to see if they are limiting travel... kind of a bummer to hear they might be, but for $40 I am happy with them.

Back