• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth doing a 4.6 stroker

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So im on the point of rebuilding my engine. I have always wanted to do a stroker as I have seen some great work. My problem is I dont want to do it myself. I want to drop it off at a shop, have it done, and pick it up. Im getting alot of run around from shops here and Denver and it is starting to make me man. Is it really even worth doing the stroker and getting it to a 4.6?

Apart from the slightly crazy price, why not pick up one of the Mopar stroker motors? And doesn't Jasper sell a crate stroker as well? I realize it's cool to do one yourself, but I imagine that if you have a machine shop do it the price wouldn't be that much different.

IDK, there are too many tolerances/measurements in the engine that have to be kosher. I went with Golen simply because they have done SO many performance builds. The price was high, but so is the quality and level of customer service.

idk about your situation, but since i built mine in my shop with my dad, just had the machine work done elsewhere, it was completely worth it! i love the low end torque, and most people around here say they have never seen a jeep that runs the way mine does. i built one a few months later for my friend who had a '99.

I have one Golen and one homebuilt. I am thrilled with both, but they are very different. My home built doesn't, make the outright power that the Golen does, but it's really torquey right off idle. That's the beauty of building your own. You get to choose.

I would like to do the 4.7, but price between them is a little more then I want to do

The only difference between a 4.6 and 4.7 is the 4.6 is bored. 030" over and the 4.7 is bored .060" over. So besides the few dollars difference in the boring price it should be the same price. Pistons are the same price either way. So 4.6 and 4.7 are the same price. Now depending on how you are going to use it and where you want your power will decide which will be best for yourselves

i wouldnt go .060" if i didnt have to. thinner cylinder walls are more prone to overheating and cracking (not saying it will happen, just more likely)

I would love a stroker .. although i am mechanically inclined, i would not trust myself to build an engine as i have never before.

Is there a step by step book on how to exactly build a jeep I6 ? A complete walk through ?

i was wondering about the smog test on a 4.6 or 4.7 got a 89xj from my tow yard for 350.00 with a stroker in it ,was going to put it in my 94 xj ,its got a header and cat back on it ...will there be any problems with Calif smog testing ?

I have a 4.6 in mine for the last 3 years. Love it. Built it all myself. Sent it out to get machining done (*and im a master machinist). It cost me ~$100 more than a regular 4.0 build.. Found a complete 4.6 for $50 on CL.. Spent the money where I wanted/felt need.. You can gather all the parts and have a shop build the bottom end for you to get the deck height worked out. You can do the rest if you follow the Haynes. You should remove the motor so you know what it takes to go back in and where everything connects.

Gathering parts for my second 4.6.. Junk yard or CL parts.. Complete 4.0 CL free, 4.6 Crank $35 JY, Going long rod this time (from 4.0), 99+ intake, AC stand, 160amp alt, brackets, PS bracket,2k dizzy thing CPS? all for $60 JY. Parts are out there, just got to watch for them.

I built what I think was probably the first stroker in Colorado about 10 years ago. I love it. I have over 100k on it and use it for my daily commute vehicle (130 miles a day). At 85mph I get about 18 mpg and it goes up to 21 if I throttle back to 70 mph.

I have a 4.6 in mine for the last 3 years. Love it. Built it all myself. Sent it out to get machining done (*and im a master machinist). It cost me ~$100 more than a regular 4.0 build.. Found a complete 4.2 for $50 on CL.. Spent the money where I wanted/felt need.. You can gather all the parts and have a shop build the bottom end for you to get the deck height worked out. You can do the rest if you follow the Haynes. You should remove the motor so you know what it takes to go back in and where everything connects.

Gathering parts for my second 4.6.. Junk yard or CL parts.. Complete 4.0 CL free, 4.2 Crank $35 JY, Going long rod this time (from 4.0), 99+ intake, AC stand, 160amp alt, brackets, PS bracket,2k dizzy thing CPS? all for $60 JY. Parts are out there, just got to watch for them.
FIFY

in both strokers that ive built, were running ford 24lb injectors with an adjuster for the MAP sensor to tune the injectors back down some, and Lunati VooDoo 250/256 cams

Back