• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

USA Standard Gear Axle Shafts, Relabeled Yukon 1541H?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
are the USA Standard Gear axle shafts the same as yukon 1541H shafts?

some reading last night led me to believe that the USA standard gear ring & pinions i purchased are actually yukon gears that did not pass inspection or did not get some final treatment or whatever, i am currious if the USA axle shafts are just relabeled yukon products as well?

according to RWKhaus supply, the USA Standard products are all yukons that had a surface imperfection, or discoloration that didnt meet yukons QC. He said that they are nothing that are affected structurally

Well, i just took my USA standard ring and pinions for their first trip around the neighborhood. they set up perfectly and dont make any noise..

those axles are so cheap it might be worth it to buy a set, i dont care about cosmetics. its not like you can see the axle anyhow.. it would be a PITA to have one with some type of hidden structural flaw leave a guy stranded though.

i dont think they come with studs or bearings, or tone rings for those who need them, but dirt cheap none the less. i do know ya usually get what you pay for, but if they are just "ugly" yukons....

ive got the usa standard inners, and one thing i did notice is that the ujoint holes arent centered in the ears. it hasnt cause any trouble since they are inline with the shaft, but take it as you will. they wont come with unit bearings, or tone rings. you swap your tone rings onto them.

mine dont vibrate. i just dont like how they have one side thinner.

interesting read, i suppose U joint bore off center of the ear could be considered a cosmetic defect if it was still true to the center line of the axle and it did not affect U joint/axle performance, it still sucks to have a obviously thin cross section where there really should not be one. but cheap is cheap for a reason!

I personally had a great experience with RWK, and will be looking to them for my future axles.

at this point im POSSIBLY looking at purchasing the USA rear axles, there is not a whole lot of room for error in the machining of the rear axle though, would hate to get a axle where the lug pattern was wrong or off center..time to roll the dice?

none of the defects are suppose to affect fit, or performance, so i say go for it.

"USA Standard gear, Made on Friday"
i am going to price out some bearings and studs but will prob end up with a set in the next few weeks, they would be for a 35 anyhow. no need for top dollar parts in the "polished turd" as people would say

just as long as they are actually 1541H ugly yukons and not some 1040 stockers

i'd rather have alloys in a d35 then stock shafts in another 27 spline axle, which is also a c clip axle, which is also a stock axle for an xj.

29 spline 8.25 at the pic-n-pull from 150 - 250 dollars, or a D44 the same if you can find one. Cromoly shafts for the D35, 200 - 400 dollars. I will take either the 8.25 or the D44 for less. I would not drop 1 penny in the d35 and that includes gear oil.

i'd rather have alloys in a d35 then stock shafts in another 27 spline axle, which is also a c clip axle, which is also a stock axle for an xj.
...with a much stronger housing, stronger ring&pinion, stronger case, larger axle tubes, and sometimes larger brakes depending on which d35. I broke my d35 once, then i put in a ford 8.8 and havent had any problems with the rear since

its never too late, buy a junk yard 8.25, swap it, sell the d35 or parts and recoop your cash and then some

i which is also a c clip axle, which is also a stock axle for an xj.
C-clip, See-shmip. I think too much is made of this c-clip thing. If you break a shaft, you still need to open the cover to get the chunks out/ push out any pieces stuck in the splines.
At that point, pulling a 5/16 bolt is no BFD

LOL yeah it already is a PITA having one installed in my jeep as it is, its a great jeep with the one weak link, but depsite all the bashing the D35 gets, it has yet to break on me, and has lasted since the mid 90's on my friends YJ (4.88's and 33"bfg mts). i know they suck compared to everything else, more so now than before i bought parts for it. BUT! they seem to hold up OK for light duty small tire use. i do know it can pop at any moment, and i think about it often when im tempted to romp on the throttle, but so far its been ok. my jeep is more of a daily driver hunting rig anyhow, prob why the axle has not self destructed yet.

Back