• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poly tranny mount?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I need real world advice on running a poly tranny mount.Ive read that poly will vibrate your teeth out.I dont plan to run poly motor mounts but will the vibes be horrible with just a tranny mount?I dont want to spend $60 on a poly mount and regret it ya know?
So whats the bottom line,is a poly trans mount a bad idea for a jeep that sees DD duty?

I'm running a daystar version in addition to Brown Dog motor mounts and I love it. It feels solid and isn't too harsh at all. Install is super easy too so if you don't dig it you can revert to stock.

Your OEM rubber one is at least 11 years old, but could be up to 28 years old.
Why not go with a new rubber one and be good for 10+ years?

I have the Daystar poly trans mount with stock rubber motor mounts on my '98. It produced some extra vibes in the cabin compartment, but nothing near as bad as "rattling my teeth out".

i have a small pail full of torn,cracked,smushed urethane mounts (motor,trans,suspension) from all sorts of vehicles i have installed them in over the years, Personally, i hate urethane motor/tranny mounts. everything that i had them in now runs either solid mounts, higher quality graphite impregnated urethane (suspension) or aftermarket rubber mounts with a higher shore hardness than stock.. or new OEM stock rubber, some of the aftermarket cheap "stock" rubber mounts i have come across are nothing more than black jello.

Running poly trans and rubber motor mounts you run the risk of possibly cracking the bell housing on the trans since the poly is not flexible and the motor mounts are.

I would just stick with a stock rubber one.

I have a poly trans mount and absolutely hated it when it first went in.

It has relaxed a bit but... I still put the AW4 into neutral at stop light to redue the interior panel rattling. I have not actually seen a Bell Housing crack due to a mismatch in mount material but then again...

In the past (think 1960s) I used all Aluminium mounts for what I was building. Back then, you either added a chain to restrict the drivers side mount movement or, you went with solid mounts. The state of the art for rubber mounts has improved by leaps and bounds. I will be replacing the engine mounts with polys this spring. Given the number of miles I have on the Heep and the Supercharger, I need to deal with them before the season begins.

The vibration would not be a problem if Jeep built interiors like my Son's Subi...

Running poly trans and rubber motor mounts you run the risk of possibly cracking the bell housing on the trans since the poly is not flexible and the motor mounts are.

I would just stick with a stock rubber one.

x2. However i wonder if the 4.0L would even produce enough power to do so.

one thing ive been running into with genuinejeep parts is alot of them are being discontinued because how old my jeep is....guess ill find out if they still stock tranny mounts for an 89

Ah poly bushings....Used them on my Ranger's F&R sway bars, and I love them. That is the only instance. The motor and spring mounts were horrendous with vibration. They went within weeks back to rubber. And my brother's 69 F100 w/390 we used rubber motor/poly trans mounts = Broken trans tailhousing. There is a reason that rubber bushings have been around so long; they work.

My problem is I break the stock mounts between the 2 bolts that hold it to the motor Ive done this to 4 or 5 now and now I just go to the J/Y and find good ones and keep them handy also Im trying not to bang shift as hard but sometimes I have no choice. AX-15 trans also I belive trans mounts are the same up till 95 .

Ive decided to stick with rubber mounts.my old jeep vibrates enough on its own...dont wanna add to the problem.Guess ill try a napa mount for my ax15 and get a set of brown dog motor mounts(rubber also)The whole thing about using full poly or full rubber makes sense though.Im glad you guys brought thsat to my attention....i wouldve been pissed if i mixed rubber motor mounts with a poly tranny mount!!

THANKS for the good advice.

Back