• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Headlights

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
So last night I smell something hot, and then my headlights went out, both hi and lo beams. Flash to pass works, fogs work, aux. driving lights work.

What should I check out?

TIA

Brian

The head light switch is toast. That is what you smell burning, no not the toast, the head light switch, LOL.

It is a pain to got to and get out too. Need small hands, and must be nimble, LOL.

Great. I'm 6'3" and can't wear large gloves. This will be interesting, I may even take pictures.

Two things are very hard. One is getting the shaft out of the old switch to move it to the new switch. Needs to done before you can get the old switch out of the dash. The is a tiny spring loaded button on the bottom front of the switch, that needs to be fully depressed to the shaft released to pull it all the way out of the old switch.

Second hardest part is getting the bulk wire connector off and then back onto the new switch. Once you have done one 3-4 times, it gets easy, as you can do it blindfolded the 5th time!!! LOL.

You may need a 3 foot telescoping spy scope to get those pictures!!! Mine are 87-89. What year is yours?

Sorry, I always forget the basics!

2001 XJ Sport

The 97+ are fairly easy. Remove the dash panel below the steering column and you can get your hand up in there to depress the small little release button.

dashlightsswitch0120120.jpg

With the switch correctly orientated it will be on the side facing the inside. Pull the control rod out while holding down the button (it may take some lite persuasion). Then using a large Phillips screw driver you can remove the screw from the dash that holds the whole thing in. A medium sized flat screw driver will aid in removing the connector plug. The hardes part of the whole job is lining the switch back up on reinstallation so the screw will start.

mine went bad on the '93. Took me about 5 minutes to replace it (i had never done one before it).

Back