• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Size

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
XJ 2001, 4.0 I6, AW4, 4WD, AC

I have a state inspection coming up at the end of the month and I am going to need a new set of tires. My Jeep is mainly stock and the tires are 225/75/15 (rims 15 x 7). I wanted to put larger tires on but I'm not sure how big I can go with stock set up. I don't want too much rubbing or have to regear. I am planning a mild lift (2- 3 in) in the summer.

235/75/15 BFG A/T's a great choice for bone stock set-ups. They're about 28.8" tall. Anything larger than that, and you'll want to have at least a "Budget Boost" lift. They're a little bigger than what you got, a good all around tire for Daily Driving, and light trial driving.
I'm personally quite frond of the Goodyear Duratrac's - a very aggressive A/T and the highest rated snow traction tire out there. They have great road manners, wear very well, and do VERY well offroad. They too are available in a 235/75/15
I would stick with both of these choices as far as brand/model is concerned, but if you're planning on doing a 3" lift in the upcoming months, I may consider a 30x9.50x15. But you're wheel wells will be awfully full with these until then.

235s are our best bet.

id go with 235/75/15 heres a pic of my jeep back when it was all stock with a 3" roughcountry lift on 235's

photo0016m.jpg

ive fit 30x9.50R15 on stock suspension with no rubbing. your results may differ if your springs are in rough shape.

I also ran 30x9.50x15 on stock wheels. My xj had worn out, saggy springs, and I had no issues with rubbing.

Just for comparison I ran 30x9.50R15 on stock wheels on my '93 and did have rubbing issues in the rear wheel wells because my leafs were so tired. When driving alone with an empty cargo area it was fine but even a couple lightweight friends in the back seat or a little bit of crap in the cargo area would cause rubbing if I went over any bumps.

That said I would definitely do 30x9.50s again if I were to get another stock XJ or MJ for a DD.

Back