• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Brands

Stay away from Airtex fuel pumps like the plague. From my personal experience and countless threads, they have a bigtime reliability issue IMHO.

I prefer (in this order) Bosch, then Carter.

I have had 2 Bosch pumps fail,however the last one (40,000 miles) was a wire issue in the tank.Pump still "looked" OK.
We replaced it with an Airtex........we,ll :dunno: see...

I have always steered away from aftermarket fuel pumps. I run a Dealership and the amount of aftermarket we replace for failure is ridiculous. I use aftermarket for a lot of things but fuel pumps will not be one. Not worth being stranded. Most OEM pumps last 150,000 plus, aftermarket pumps don't seem to last more than 30k at best, and I know there are the exceptions.

Yes only run OEM fuel pumps or external HP type pump with custom regulator. (Never done this on an XJ) I hate chancing fuel pumps! Always happens after a nice fill up too it seems. Plus I always try to keep at least 1/4 tank in there.

i have been runnning an airtex module (in a 99) since summer 2008 and so far no problems (time will tell) why? because the oem bosch pump failed at 70,000 miles. mike

i have been runnning an airtex module (in a 99) since summer 2008 and so far no problems (time will tell) why? because the oem bosch pump failed at 70,000 miles. mike

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought OEM fuel pumps for the XJ were made by Carter?

One comment, I have learned the hard way that it is easier if you change the pump AND the pickup assembly at the same time. Despite the parts stores insistance that "this pump is a plug in replacement", I found that the pumps from different brands are different sizes and may not "bolt right in".....

I have always steered away from aftermarket fuel pumps. I run a Dealership and the amount of aftermarket we replace for failure is ridiculous. I use aftermarket for a lot of things but fuel pumps will not be one. Not worth being stranded. Most OEM pumps last 150,000 plus, aftermarket pumps don't seem to last more than 30k at best, and I know there are the exceptions.

+1, I will only run OEM Fuel Pumps
+ I will also only run OEM Water pumps.

Quality of the aftermarket stuff seems to be a crapshoot.

Back