• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tune up questions

depofmed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
So I got a 99 xj RWD a couple of weeks ago and love it. It is approaching 60,000 miles and tune up time. I know that the dealer once changed the rear diff and maintenance was up to date. I changed the rear axle seals (leaks), shoes, pads, rotors and driver side front wheel bearing (timken) and both rear wheel cylinders. With that being said I have a couple of questions.
1) I see that according to the manual its time to replace plugs and wires should the distributor cap and rotor also be replaced as maintenance?
2) it says to drain and refill coolant, is 2 gallons 50/50 enough and should the t- stat be changed as well?
3) When draining and replacing coolant, does the engine need to be flushed? or should i open the block plug or just take the lower radiator hose off the radiator and whatever comes out on its own let it come out with no flushing (and if this is the case should i open the block plug)?

Dist cap and rotor are cheap enough, replace them
ave yourselfe some money and get 100% coolant and distilled water.
Better if you can flush engine, but not 100% necessary. When you disconnect the T-stat housing you can run a holes with water in it to get the crap out of the block.
FSM will give you fluid capacities.

60k on a 99....wow! I have 150k on my 99.

At 60k, unless you have believable evidence of otherwise, you should replace your plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Use Champion copper plugs and verify that gap is at .035 before installing them. Don't forget about checking/replacing air filter.

I change my thermostat every 60k; they cycle a lot during their lifetime. I'd get a new one in there while you are flushing the coolant. I recommend buying a 195 degree stat directly from Jeep for best reliability and temp control. I'd consider springing for a new radiator cap as well as checking hoses. Both of those things are often overlooked.

If coolant doesn't look too bad, I wouldn't worry about flushing the block. Once you get a good (stays green) quality of baseline coolant, I just drop the lower hose, drain what is in the radiator and refill.

60k on a 99....wow! I have 150k on my 99.

At 60k, unless you have believable evidence of otherwise, you should replace your plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Use Champion copper plugs and verify that gap is at .035 before installing them. Don't forget about checking/replacing air filter.

I change my thermostat every 60k; they cycle a lot during their lifetime. I'd get a new one in there while you are flushing the coolant. I recommend buying a 195 degree stat directly from Jeep for best reliability and temp control. I'd consider springing for a new radiator cap as well as checking hoses. Both of those things are often overlooked.

If coolant doesn't look too bad, I wouldn't worry about flushing the block. Once you get a good (stays green) quality of baseline coolant, I just drop the lower hose, drain what is in the radiator and refill.

I love the jeep picked it up for under 2k.
So if the coolant is nice and clean (according to autocheck it was changed at 54000 miles but in 2008) should i flush with a graden hose or just drain coolant out of the radiator by removing the hose and just refill?
PS: I am cautias about flushing with a hose because of tap water (not distilled) entering the system

might want to drain and fill, unless its been done recently

according to trans service records done on 5/2009 with 54,300 miles on the car,
regarding the coolant should i flush the cooling system with a garden hose or just drain the radiatior (by removing bottom radiator hose) and just refill

Back