• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle disconnect problems

itsjustme

NAXJA Forum User
I was just working on my newly aquired XJ tonight.

I did a redneck alignment , replace broken track bar bolt , etc...
Just kinda checking things before i do a trial run.
While it was up in the air , I found that the dreaded POS @#*%$# vac disconnect doesen't work.
001_9898.gif

No suprise. It didn't work on my YJ either.
smash.gif

I want to do the one piece TJ axle.
Anyone know what inner seal I need to get for the dana 30 housing ?
Do I just ask for one from a non disconnect XJ axle ?
Or do I ask for the TJ seals ?

And I know I have to make a block off plate too

you could do all that nonsense like most people or just order a D30 cable lock kit from alloy usa to manually engage the fork in side the CAD instead of using vacuum. then you don't have to do an axle swap. costs about $120-$150 and only took me an hour to install total. maybe a bit more. works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-USA-4...ep|Model:Cherokee&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d31bd26a5HERES AN EBAY STORE LINK:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-USA-450920-Differential-Cable-Lock-Kit-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-3-6-lift-/400266438309?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep|Model%3ACherokee&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d31bd26a5

Before I swapped in free tj shafts and such I made my own manual actuator. Super easy and cost me $12. Get a good stiff cable so it will work in both directions and a lever to work it with. Year the diaphragm out of the actuator and disassemble it all. Drill a hole in the shift fork to feed the cake through and then the actuator housing. Run the cable through and into the can to where l ever you want to mount the lever. Be sure to deal the hole in the housing. I'll see if I can find my write up with pics.

there is a way to just flip the vac disconnect stuff around so it's default position is to keep the collar locked. i did it around a year ago. i don't remember what exactly i did, but when i pulled it all apart, it was pretty easy to figure out how to flip the fork/spring mess around to keep it locked together. cost me nothing but a little time.

Back