• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny problems with codes

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so yesterday my check engine light came on. Went to auto zone and had them check the code. Its throwing two codes. P0700 and P0743.

P0700 - Transaxle control system fault

P0743 - Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit

What are these? Anyone else ever had problems with these? After the light came on the jeep wouldent shift into 5th gear or OD. Is there something wrong with the tranny or whats the problem. Anyone help me out here. 4.0 engine, AW4 tranny, 231 t-case on a 98 sport

You have a 5 speed?? I thought only manual tranny's came in 5 speeds???

If it's the same problem I had, the torque converter lock-up solenoids may be bad.

Search around here for a write up on how to check them. You can do it with a multi-meter. It's simple.

If they are bad then step 2 is to search for a write up on how to replace them with the Toyota solenoids.

They are the exact same (well almost) solenoids only a lot cheaper in price. And they are super easy to swap.

I did mine about 3 years ago and have had zero problems with them since.

I also have a '98 and had the same problem with it not going into OD and had the same codes..... I'm not saying this WILL fix your problem... But it fixed mine.

BTW, the dealer wanted $500 labor+ parts to R&R solenoids. I paid $120 for all three and did it my self on my back in about 1-1/2 hours. Plus you get a new tranny filter and fresh oil while you're at it...... :thumbup:

Edit:

Why is this in the mod tech forum??

Last edited:
Back