• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any guys good at gears in here wanna lend a hand?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
i gotta put the elocker in my d44 and swap the ring and pinion on a d30. anyone with some experience wanna lend a hand with some beer and food for payment? this is the one thing i've never attempted before. i have indicators and whatnot, just gotta make a case spreader and get shims, bearings, etc. i can also make up some setup bearings. the time/date is flexible.
just need someone to look over my shoulder to make sure i dont eff it up, for the most part.

few points of advice...

On the D44 E-Locker, do a "super" shim setup and not the OE behind the bearing style.

And you don't need a spreader.Pry bar on a ring gear bolt, put a hammer behind the pry bar so it can lever, and then smack the end of the pry bar with a BFH. Carrier will pop right out.

yep, got the carrier out today. wasnt too bad. i gotta make some setup bearings still. i'm debating pulling out the pinion and changing the bearings, crush sleeve, seal, etc.
the same gearset will be used again in this housing.

Leave it alone. If it ain't leaking, don't bother. Crush sleeve is a pita. Takes 450 ft. lb. minimum to crush, and there are no do-overs.

ah ok, i haven't even really looked into it yet. i've only gotten as far as pulling the carrier and axles.

sweet! thanks John. i havent done it yet, i want to clean up the housing and paint it first the housing is still in the jeep, however since the rear of the body is mostly gone, there's a clean shot at the axle. the plan was to leave it like that to do the gears so i wouldnt have to worry about holding the axle steady.
also, it's outside so if it's at night, then there's cold and darkness to deal with.
Should i order bearings, shims, etc?

sweet! thanks John. i havent done it yet, i want to clean up the housing and paint it first the housing is still in the jeep, however since the rear of the body is mostly gone, there's a clean shot at the axle. the plan was to leave it like that to do the gears so i wouldnt have to worry about holding the axle steady.
also, it's outside so if it's at night, then there's cold and darkness to deal with.
Should i order bearings, shims, etc?
Yeah, you need a full install kit. If it's outside then I would want to come during the day. I'm getting too old to sit shivering on the ground for 3 hours! :D

haha so am i man. thats why i mentioned it!
any kit better than others, or just the autozone/kragen special? i got superior axles, not sure if that matters.

Hey Gents I got a question

Bad driveline angle ate up my last 44
How much am I looking at in parts to get it back together

Back