• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix CPS POst Mortem!

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I just found out NAXJA members have a photo archive membership benefit!!!!

I finally uploaded photos I took 9-12 months ago, when I fighting the new CPS gremlin blues on the 89 Renix, and I have photos of the AW4 swap on the 87 where I took photos of the OEM Renix CPS before I retired it at 274,000 miles!!!

Now lets see, how does the photo link thing work?

picture.php

Good view of the dust cover, and one bolt removed.

picture.php

Good view of the OEM Renix Logo on top (I am guessing it was still the 87 OEM part!!), good view of the shoulder bolt, and the dust cover.

picture.php

The dust cover removed, and the air gap of the OEM installed gap between the CPS tip and the Flex plate when OEM shoulder bolts are used and OEM CPS installed. This shows that is a LOT of room to move the CPS closer to the flex plate by making the CPS mounting holes larger in diameter and forcing the CPS closer to the flex plate to increase the signal strength to the ECU!!! A must for solving randon Renix no spark, no starts using aftermarket an aftermarket (or even OEM) Renix CPS.

picture.php

Now Here is the post mortem photo of the new one I installed in Jan 2011 (autozone sourced), that was infected with an invisble E-gremlin, that pretended to be OK by working most of the time, until the jeep was 50 miles from home on a cold rainy night, and I was on the other side of town when my daughter called with a no start again complaint. What I think I learned from taking this one apart, and from the 0.00 volt signal while cranking, the first time when I finally caught it playing hooky, is that the coil wire is angle hair fine (there is also an imbeded magnet, and an iron core tip inside the coil, just below the magnet), that is probably making poor electrical contact with the apx 20 gauge connector wire on the end of the CPS cable. I suspect it is any assembly problem getting the angel fine hair sized wire stripped of varnish, and connected to larger wire inside the sealed sensor assy!!! This one seemed to temperature sensitive, did not like to work when cold. I tried a different brand and mounted the newer one closer to the flex plate and never had any more problems.

Also note that the outside wire insulation seems to be a high temp silicone tube that is hard as nails to cut. The small loose part with the wire is the iron core, not a magnet. The part embedded in the large assy is the magnet!!!

picture.php

Another view!

picture.php

Back