• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What has these axles stock?? Junkyard Hunt

hp30's came in XJs up until 98 or 99 or so when they switched to a low pinion, 8.8s came in a few different vehicles but the one usually sought after to put under an XJ is from the 98+ ford explorer.

IIRC the explorers that have the 8.8 out back are IFS up front so you aren't going to find an axle for the xj under them.

You will probably have to pull the 8.8 and regear the d30 to match as I'm not sure they ever came in the same vehicle

right i know they will not be unde the same vehicle

I am in need of a 8.8 with 4.10 or 4.56 gears

my xj has the HP30 upfront, just will 3.55 gearing, with 35's it sucks lol

With 35's, I'd go to 4.56 gears. I'm running 4.56's with 33's and the result is gearing that's just a tad lower than stock (speedo reads just a little high). I'm not sure you'll be happy with 4.10's. Just my $0.02

hp30's came in XJs up until 98 or 99 or so when they switched to a low pinion, 8.8s came in a few different vehicles but the one usually sought after to put under an XJ is from the 98+ ford explorer.

THIS! The 8.8 came under older Explorers and Mountaineers but had drums. Get one with discs. Also, try to get one with the LSD. Finally, in order for your XJ driveshaft to work on the 8.8 you need the adaptor that bolts into the rear axle. Be sure to grab that.

IIRC the explorers that have the 8.8 out back are IFS up front so you aren't going to find an axle for the xj under them.

You will probably have to pull the 8.8 and regear the d30 to match as I'm not sure they ever came in the same vehicle

Best you will do with these stock axles out of the JY will be 4.10s. Grab them and go.

You want to try to find a 4 cyl 5 spd XJ from 91-99. These came with HP 4.10s.

As for the 8.8, you want to find a 95-98 Explorer. It came with disc brakes. Unless you don't care and can use drums. Then you can go all the way back to 91 for them.

THE 8.8 AXLE CODE RATIO 4.10 LIMITED SLIP IS THE "D2" AXLE CODE.

Pop the drivers door and look at the emissions sticker. D2 is 4.10 limited slip. D4 is 3.73 limited slip.

If you want, crawl under there and look at the tag bolted to the cover. Should read " 4 L 10" in the bottom left corner of the tag.

I just pulled one of these the other day. Got it for $75.

HTH

You want to try to find a 4 cyl 5 spd XJ from 91-99. These came with HP 4.10s.

As for the 8.8, you want to find a 95-98 Explorer. It came with disc brakes. Unless you don't care and can use drums. Then you can go all the way back to 91 for them.

THE 8.8 AXLE CODE RATIO 4.10 LIMITED SLIP IS THE "D2" AXLE CODE.

Pop the drivers door and look at the emissions sticker. D2 is 4.10 limited slip. D4 is 3.73 limited slip.

If you want, crawl under there and look at the tag bolted to the cover. Should read " 4 L 10" in the bottom left corner of the tag.

I just pulled one of these the other day. Got it for $75.

HTH

You are awsome, Exactly the kinda information I am looking for

84-86 xjs have 4.10s and no axle shaft disconnect (2.8l). More common than 4cyls around here.
The Explorers that have 4.10s are the "Eddie Bauer" models. Says it on the hatch.

Super mud, I am pretty sure that is not entirely accurate. The one I pulled my 4.10 8.8 out of said no such thing on it. I am also not sure about your info on what to get 4.10 d30s out of... never seen a 2.8 so I can't say for sure, but a 4cyl 5spd should have 4.10s, while a 4cyl 4spd will only have 3.55s.

Explorers: (this will be on one of the stickers, I forget if it's the glovebox one or the door one with the VIN... I just crawled under the back and checked the axle tag)
Axle code 42 = open diff, 4.10s
Axle code D2 = LSD, 4.10s

You will also want the flange that the U-joint goes into and a 1310-1330 adapter U-joint, which you can get online. Either that or get a spicer 2-2-1379 flange which fits the 8.8 pinion flange and is sized for a 1310 U-joint.

BEFORE you spend time pulling the axle, find out if the ratio is accurate, someone could have swapped other gears in. You can either pop the cover and count teeth / look for the stampings on the ring gear, or use the turn counting method.

Just FYI the flange off of a Ranger 7.5 or 8.8 is correct for an XJ. The 8.8 with 4.10's and an LSD is common on Eddie Bauer's, but was an option for all years. Towing packages commonly head 4.10's you can also find a 4.10 with a gear driven Torsen LSD in FX4 Level II trucks it is also a 31 spline 8.8, but has drum breaks until 2009 after that it was Canada only. I would deal with drums to gain a gear driven LSD.

i found an XJ with hp30 and 8.8 in the junkyard
the p.o. must have swapped em
Considering the 8.8 is a FORD axle then use the previous owner swapped it no if's and's or but's.

Back