• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer disc brakes on the 8.25, I know there is a thread somewhere....

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm getting ready to do this conversion. I know I read a thread somewhere on here about this conversion.

It seems there were some issues to deal with such as spacing and such.

Someone steer me in the right direction

Eh, thanks but I need one 8.25 specific. I remember reading that the explorer backing plates needed to be spaced 10mm for the rotors to align with the calipers.

Its been a long time though so maybe I'm wrong.

Eh, thanks but I need one 8.25 specific. I remember reading that the explorer backing plates needed to be spaced 10mm for the rotors to align with the calipers.

Its been a long time though so maybe I'm wrong.

You want ZJ stuff. You just need to open up the center hole a touch, sanding drum, and the rest is bolt on.

Be sure to install longer backing plate bolts and longer wheel studs. I used Liberty backing plate bolts and 2001 dana 30 wheel studs, these are the longest ones I know of.

josh

You want ZJ stuff. You just need to open up the center hole a touch, sanding drum, and the rest is bolt on.

Be sure to install longer backing plate bolts and longer wheel studs. I used Liberty backing plate bolts and 2001 dana 30 wheel studs, these are the longest ones I know of.

josh

Too late for that. I was given a L/R all new 98 Explorer rear disc set-up including ceramic pads, new e-brake shoes/hardware, discs and hoses.

Now I need to know what I need to do to make it work? What do I need to look for?

Too late for that. I was given a L/R all new 98 Explorer rear disc set-up including ceramic pads, new e-brake shoes/hardware, discs and hoses.

Now I need to know what I need to do to make it work? What do I need to look for?

As far as I know you just need to make a template for the flange bolt pattern in on the 8.25 and redrill the holes in the backing plates.

From what I have heard and seen it works but it can start to look a little ugly, really elongated holes and such. Just make a template and choose the best location for the new holes. Do the same for both sides.

Josh

As far as I know you just need to make a template for the flange bolt pattern in on the 8.25 and redrill the holes in the backing plates.

From what I have heard and seen it works but it can start to look a little ugly, really elongated holes and such. Just make a template and choose the best location for the new holes. Do the same for both sides.

Josh

Thanks!

I have read that there may be an issue with the "hat" part of the rotor being too far out for the e-brake shoes to engage and for the caliper to be able to center on the rotor. Thus a spacer is needed between the backing plate and the axle flange. I think I read this on GoJeep's site

Can someone confirm!

Wow, can't believe no one has tried this. I guess I'm breaking new ground!

Wouldn't the explorer brakes be the same as the crown vic brakes? Any input on that conversion?

There are plenty of posts that say "just use exploder brakes", but I can't find an actual thread about them. Hit some parts store sites and see if the CV and exploder use the same components? (Haven't tried either, but I'm curious. Still running drums, hoping to do a cheap disc swap when the warmer weather hits).

It turns out that the caliper brackets, calipers and rotors that were given to me are from a ZJ and they bolted on with little issue. I just have to sort out the soft lines and source some banjo bolts. No one has them locally.

Does any one know if XJ front banjo bolts will work with rear ZJ calipers?

IIRC they do, I read somewhere that some Chevrolet full size brake lines will work too.

It turns out that the caliper brackets, calipers and rotors that were given to me are from a ZJ and they bolted on with little issue. I just have to sort out the soft lines and source some banjo bolts. No one has them locally.

Does any one know if XJ front banjo bolts will work with rear ZJ calipers?

LOL, guess it pays to really find out what you really got.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

LOL, guess it pays to really find out what you really got.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

Yep, not sure how I got that messed up but I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

The brakes went on like they were meant to be on that axle. I was able to make the e-brake cables work easily by drilling the e-brake lever to accept the "U" part of a 1/8" cable clamp. I simply slipped the cable under the u-bolt and tightened it down=done!

Now if I can just find some banjo bolts, so far AA, AZ the "O" do not carry or stock that banjo bolt. I'm giving NAPA a call right now.

I also recommend using XJ front studs on the rear axle. The XJ front studs are 2" long. I found that ZJ studs would not work, the shoulder was too large to fit into the XJ axle flange.

I believe the only sources for the banjo bolt will be a dealership or a junkyard.

I believe the only sources for the banjo bolt will be a dealership or a junkyard.

NAPA has them, $1.49 each!

And if you use studs from a 2000 and up dana 30, LP, then the studs are a 1/4" longer than previous years.

And ZJ soft lines will work just fine.

I'm using XJ front studs which work perfectly and yes the ZJ lines worked great. I welded tabs onto the tie plates so that the hoses go over the axle and away from rocks, sticks and stuff.

This upgrade went super smooth. I had more issues with disassembly and reassembly of my Aussie Locker so I could remove the shafts than I did with the brake install.

Just went for a test drive. The brakes are better but no great. I also have a rubbing noise. I think its the rotor rubbing the dust shields. The noise changes from one side to the other as I go around turns. It may be that the end play with my "C" clip 8.25 is just enough to allow the a clearance issue. I'll address that the next time I have the rear wheels off.

My E-brake cable clamp idea works great, I do have e-brakes now!

you should post pics of your setup....

this mod is in my near future...my drums are worn out and I don't want to replace them.

Back