• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Self Accelerates!

Eagle^

NAXJA Forum User
Automatic 1998 XJ, 6 cyl. Completely Stock.

I was driving back from my lunch brake when My car decided to rev up on its own. I took my foot off the gas, started using the brake, pulled onto a side road and hit the power. I checked to make sure nothing was jammed onto the pedal, I restarted the car and the engine reved just about as high as Ive ever seen it.

Any Ideas of what I could check? I did a quick google search and had recommendations for the Throttle Cord? and for the TB-Butterfly valve... How do I check these in my jeep?

Any other ideas.... im a little worried about driving home.

Thank you!

Check for obstructions on your TPS (located on the throttle body on the side facing the firewall). I've had this happen to me with a loose wire on my 88.

Also, check for anything blocking your butterfly valve inside the throttle body and make sure it's not sticking open.

Check for obstructions on your TPS (located on the throttle body on the side facing the firewall). I've had this happen to me with a loose wire on my 88.

Also, check for anything blocking your butterfly valve inside the throttle body and make sure it's not sticking open.

Also check the vacumn lines on/from the intake manifold.

Found the Problem.

I have a Specter Air filter. There was a little metal bar with the specter logo on it on the Filter. when I installed it, I tried it and it felt permanently attached.

I got an Oil Change Monday. After my car decided to act up today, I checked the butterfly Valve in the TB. That Metal bar from specter was jammed in there. Keeping it open. It was also covered in a reddish fluid.

I Called the Mechanic shop up and informed them... and they asked to see it... and commented that That must not be the problem, but they would happily help me find out what the issue is. *right* A Metal Bar friggin stuck in the Valve isnt the Problem? And he thought the issues weren't connected. hmmm Ive had that filter for 5 months now... never had a problem. You changed the oil... and now I have Issues. Of course they aren't connected.

Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help!!!

Found the Problem.

I have a Specter Air filter. There was a little metal bar with the specter logo on it on the Filter. when I installed it, I tried it and it felt permanently attached.

I got an Oil Change Monday. After my car decided to act up today, I checked the butterfly Valve in the TB. That Metal bar from specter was jammed in there. Keeping it open. It was also covered in a reddish fluid.

I Called the Mechanic shop up and informed them... and they asked to see it... and commented that That must not be the problem, but they would happily help me find out what the issue is. *right* A Metal Bar friggin stuck in the Valve isnt the Problem? And he thought the issues weren't connected. hmmm Ive had that filter for 5 months now... never had a problem. You changed the oil... and now I have Issues. Of course they aren't connected.

Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help!!!

FWIW, you are not the first guy to have that bar wind up lodged in the throttle body. If you do a bit of searching, you'll find other threads where people had similar issues. Scary stuff.

Back