• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD with a front locker??

BlueRockRash

NAXJA Forum User
So i want to lock the front of my xj with an aussie locker what will be the differences i will experience i already know about the 14 point turnarounds on trails but what about on the streets i have a auto with the 231 case???? is it a bad idea to do this???

I've had an aussie in my dana 30, its invisible for the most part. In parking lots and super tight turns you will hear it clicking but with a thick front diff cover and thick gear oil its pretty silent. I LOVE DRIVING IN THE SNOW WITH IT, regardless of what people say you wont die driving in 4wd with a front locker. I personally think its actually easier and more safe to drive with it.

By far the best mod I've done in regards to wheelability, with a front locker you can push your jeep so much further. What size tires will you be running?

33s for now but switching to 35s in the future i have a the 30 8.25 combo and i have a 29 spline 8.25 in my garage waiting for gears and shafts

I've never had an issue on or off road. I've had a LockRite and now I have a detroit. Both are invisible on road and I don't have any issue turning offroad. (especially after the hyrdo assist.)

Its fine on road, off road in 4wd is where i wish i had a selectable locker. Turning sucks.
my buddy blames his locker for flopping his yoda. he says he couldnt steer so was forced to take a shitty line. he has an elocker, but didnt have his switches labeled and apparently was unlocking the rear instead of the front.
This is actually my main reason for trying to find a dana 44 for the front, i want to use my spare elocker instead of the drop in locker that's in the d30 i have kicking around.

my buddy blames his locker for flopping his yoda. he says he couldnt steer so was forced to take a shitty line. he has an elocker, but didnt have his switches labeled and apparently was unlocking the rear instead of the front.
This is actually my main reason for trying to find a dana 44 for the front, i want to use my spare elocker instead of the drop in locker that's in the d30 i have kicking around.

I've never had that kind of problem where i couldn't steer, i was mainly referring to performing a sharp turn and the loud popping i get. Inability to steer has not been an issue for me.

I've never had that kind of problem where i couldn't steer, i was mainly referring to performing a sharp turn and the loud popping i get. Inability to steer has not been an issue for me.
yea, i think he's making up excuses lol you saw where he flopped on sidewinder, just a bad line IMO

the rear im gonna go with a powertrax no slip and up front im not sure yet i was thinking aussie or lockrite im not sure though

Thats the exact setup I have, hp 30 up front with an aussie and a 29 spline 8.25 rear with a no slip.... great combo for on road and wheeling. The rear is dead silent unlike other lunchbox lockers and the front is also silent. In 4wd is where they shine tho, its been point and shoot with my gears lockers and 33s. Once these 33s wear out I might step up to 35s but for now my xj has gone anywhere i want it to, I think you will like the setup.

If your about to gear, go deep. Don't bother with 4.10s or anything, if you have 33s with a possibility of 35s in the future go 4.88s you won't regret it. With 33s I got gobs of power and great mpg for a lifted xj.

the resistance you would be worried about is how much it takes to get it to ratchet. i dont really see how it would matter since its locked if there is force on the cross pin. if you are in snow/powder and start to spin, then you are low enough on traction that both will be spinning anyways correct? maybe i dont completely understand your question..

Been running the aussie for about 2 years ( with ruffstuf cover) the only time i have ever heard it click was about 6 months in, when CaliXJ spun a wheel with the jeep on jackstands, spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why it was making noise. Finally he asks about a front locker, I had never heard it click while driving it ever, so i had forgotten that they could even do that.

As far as not being able to turn, yeah it sucks in high traction situations, but easy does it. Bump the idle, and work it back and forth. Cranking the wheel with all your might, or crashing over stuff off line just costs $$$

i've daily driven a jeep locked front and rear for years. never had any issues, as long as you drive like a well adjusted adult who accounts for shitty weather conditions and doesn't try to go really fast around turns because you have a locked 4wd vehicle

Thats the exact setup I have, hp 30 up front with an aussie and a 29 spline 8.25 rear with a no slip.... great combo for on road and wheeling. The rear is dead silent unlike other lunchbox lockers and the front is also silent. In 4wd is where they shine tho, its been point and shoot with my gears lockers and 33s. Once these 33s wear out I might step up to 35s but for now my xj has gone anywhere i want it to, I think you will like the setup.

If your about to gear, go deep. Don't bother with 4.10s or anything, if you have 33s with a possibility of 35s in the future go 4.88s you won't regret it. With 33s I got gobs of power and great mpg for a lifted xj.

ya im going 488s so 35s will be in the future

I'm on my third year with the Spartan in my 4.56-geared D30 and 33" tires and have been very pleased, all things considered. The Spartan is a bit cheaper (weaker?) than the Aussie but works the same. I have no issues with DD driving (70+ miles a day) or turning on trails.

If I were to go taller than 33's, I'd definately get a set of selectable lockers like ARB.

Last edited:
I'm on my third year with the Spartan in my 4.56-geared D30 and 33" tires and have been very pleased, all things considered. The Spartan is a bit cheaper (weaker?) than the Aussie but works the same. I have no issues with DD driving (70+ miles a day) or turning on trails.

If I were to go taller than 33's, I'd definately get a set of selectable lockers like ARB.

im bout to regear with 4.56's im running 33's i was planning on going with a Spartan up front or do u think i should go with a Aussie...and what kind of MPG's do u get

the resistance you would be worried about is how much it takes to get it to ratchet. i dont really see how it would matter since its locked if there is force on the cross pin. if you are in snow/powder and start to spin, then you are low enough on traction that both will be spinning anyways correct? maybe i dont completely understand your question..
From what I understand, the lunbox lockers for the Dana 30 dont ever engage until you put power to that axle, thats why they're usually invisible on the street. They then start working as soon as you put some force behind the front driveshaft.

Back