• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater fan speed switch connector

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
alright, so i've got a 94 with ac and a melted fan speed switch connector

i'm aware that the root cause of this is the blower motor, what with the bearing aging and stiffening which causes more amperage draw, thus blowing the thermal fuse in the resistor, thus melting this connector, as well as the fan speed switch, in my case

HOWEVER, i've read on here, and found that this same fan speed switch is found in several different types of vehicles other than our xj's

see my post in this thread.....that i started:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1076322

i have not gone out and extensively looked yet only because it's bad enough having to drive with my windows down so the front windshield doesn't ice over......in -35 degrees (canadian.....errr....celsius), so i'd already be frozen when i get to the boneyard, just to get there and not know which vehicles would even for sure have the same pigtail (i get real forgetful sometimes), thus scrambling around for half an hour looking for the 1 xj in the yard to find out it has a melted one too (yes that happened)

so i'm curious as to which vehicles you guys have found this connector in most commonly? (other than xj's)

what condition was it in? (melted/usable)

Last edited:
Note from DJ
NAPA has these itemslisted for a 94XJ
Blower Motor Resistor Connector
Part Number: ECH EC239
Female Type
w/ 4 Terminals
Gray

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=ECHEC239_0334283507&An=599001+101994+50038+2038004+25011&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

A/C & Heater Blower Motor Switch
Part Number: ECH HC148
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=ECHHC148_0159069737&An=0&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

If this is the correct switch for your XJ and they have it in stock ask to see their paper catalog that has connectors in and see if you can find a matching connector.

yeah that would be the switch i have

only thing is though, my connector pigtail has 5 terminals (perhaps because i have air conditioning?) and i don't see that listed anywhere in the heater related section.......

and I thought I had it bad at -13F....my blower just went tonight. I sympathize with you! I'll be looking for the fan switch tomorrow...only for an older XJ ('89)...hopefully it will cure my problems.

Here in Houston we freeze and go numb at about +35 F!!! Already too cold right now at + 50 F, :cheers:

and I thought I had it bad at -13F....my blower just went tonight. I sympathize with you! I'll be looking for the fan switch tomorrow...only for an older XJ ('89)...hopefully it will cure my problems.

i would advise on replacing the blower motor and resistor as well, because from what i read, as the blower motor ages, the bearing in it stiffens causing it to draw more amperage, thus blowing the resistor, and melting the connecctor

that seems to be the root cause of the connector melting in several of the threads i've come across on this issue

thanks for the link, the links in this thread would be the links i followed to find what appears to be several variants of the fan speed switch my xj uses, however, i was unable to locate any connector pigtails within the pdf's in there

Back