• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 questions

red betty

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to put a new ax15 in my xj and i was wondering if theres any differences in the different ax15s? Also i was wondering if this is a good time to try to do the crank position sensor if so where is it located lol.

Year, engine, transfer case, etc. would help a bunch.

Major differences would probably be internal (1992 or 1993 and earlier) vs. external slave (later models.) I think there are minor differences in the output shaft.

CPS is located high on the driver's side. Certainly pretty simple to do if the transmission is out.

Late model external slave with a 23 spline output shaft. I don't recall what length.

Tail shaft length, IIRC there are at least 3 different lengths over the years among the various transmissions.

You want a 94-99 AX15, I think those are all nearly identical. 2000 and 2001 had NV3550 transmissions.

The crank position sensor is mounted to the bell housing (driver's side, near top, bolts face toward rear) so it's on the list to remove for the job anyway. Whether you replace it or not depends on how difficult you find it to do. I didn't bother with mine. It's only got 264k miles on it, what's the rush? Still, if you don't mind buying a new one, this is the time to do it since the labor is the same anyway,.

I don't know about all changes, but can tell you for sure that a 95 and 99 AX 15 will interchange.

Yup. You'll need the external slave bellhousing, clutch fork and all of those bits. You might also want to check the diameter & length of the input shaft, I don't recall if those are always identical.

Note from DJ
A list of all Jeep Specifications
Starting with the 1941 Willys Mb
Complements of Pirate 4X4.com
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8608201
According to info from above Website:
The AX15 manual 5speed was used with the 4.0 L I6 from late 1989 — 1999

Yes but like the xj itself was made 1984-2001 there was countless changes made throughout the years. More times than not its the same for engines and transmission as well. So I'm trying to find out if there was any differences through out the years and if so what they all were so i don't run into any unnecessary problems. Thank you for the link.

Back