• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle removal

Zaskar

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,I need some help bad , I installed new ball joints on my sons 98 xj when i slide the axles back in and tighten the three bolts I cant spin the axle freely. Is there a trick to sliding these in? We are stuck here and I ran out of ideas. Thanks for any help

No I removed the the whole hub assembly, and we didnt put in 4wd.Do the axles need to line up in anyway? It looks to be the same splines all around. Nope they slide right in.

with the passenger axle removed the driver side is still binding.But before I pulled the passenger side out it moved free when i slid the axle back in now they both bind. This is on a 98 xj high pinion 30

i would pop the diff cover off and take a look at what is going on inside there, it shouldn't be binding up.

Just tossing out some random thoughts.

Are you re-using the same parts you pulled off - you didn't get longer screws and they are contacting the back of the unit bearing or something?

Are the brake calipers back on when testing or is this right after you tighten the 3 bolts and the caliper is still off? If you had a 99+ bearing and rotor on one side and a 98- bearing and rotor on the other, it would bind up if you put the wrong bearing with the wrong rotor.

Hey thanks guys for the quick responses. No all the same parts putting in. All I did was install new upper and lower ball joints and when I slid in the hub/axle assembly tighten the three bolts they bind . They spin free until i tighten the bolts.I even put the transfercase in neutral and trans still bind. Looks like I will be pulling the front diff cover off to see whats going on.:(

Last edited:
Well crap I figured it out the bottom grease fitting was hitting the u-joint!! Oh well , greased the ball joint and put a plug in no more problems:smoker:Thanks guys for all the help. Formerly " Johnny Xj "
zerk.jpg

Back