• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues with possible binding when moving forward

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
Went and looked at a Cherokee tonight. Its an 89 4.0l automatic 4x4 with a 242 T-case. The guy DOES not know anything about cars. So I went to go look at it and see what was up with it. my concern is that when I put the Jeep in reverse to back up, all seemed well, but as soon as I put it in drive and gave it gas it seemed as if something was binding. The Jeep was hesitant to move but the trans did not seem as if it was slipping. The 4wd does not seem like it was disenguaging. I would be getting it in a trade along with another "parts" jeep. I just want to know if anyone may have heard or had a smiliar problem and in your opinion bad tranny? transfer case? rear axle or brakes binding? It is lifted about 4" BTW and one of the rear brake cables seemed to be pretty tight..I know its a long shot but just trying to get some ideas...THANKS any input will help!

Re: I know this should be in tech but I need some quick responses from the So cal guy

Did it make any sounds? Maybe the rear brakes are locked up, pull the rotor and check.

Re: I know this should be in tech but I need some quick responses from the So cal guy

My mom said from the outside of the jeep it sounded like a dry, metal on metal sound. I thought it may be the brakes, but now I'm wondering if the rear end might be bad. I just hate to get it and find out I have to swap transmissions...

My mom said from the outside of the jeep it sounded like a dry, metal on metal sound. I thought it may be the brakes, but now I'm wondering if the rear end might be bad. I just hate to get it and find out I have to swap transmissions...

Try blocking the front tires, then jack the rear up and put it in neutral.
See if the tires spin freely.

that makes sense I could do that, because honestly its one of the best running Jeeps i've ever looked it. If i can figure out this problem I'd be ok with it, just need to see what this issue is..

When you tried to go forward. Was it straight or turning? The 242's are notorius for not disengaging right away so if you had it in 4wd and then took it out and tried going forward and turn, it would likely bind. My buddy had a 1989 XJ Waggy with 242 and it did this.

If you were trying to go straight.....something else is wrong.

There would be quicker responses in OEM tech with a greater knowledge base.

It is likely that the tcase was still in 4wd and had not shifted out yet - and that it was binding up on the street. In my experience, 242 transfer cases take awhile to get out of 4wd - its not immediate.

Back