• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing wiring harness question:

I have a 2000 XJ Sport. It did not come with the towing package so I'm about to order a harness. My two questions are:

1) Can I get a harness with a round RV plug?

2) Either way, I need a harness. Where is the best place to order from?

Last edited:
I found this website, but I'm not sure if it would work. JEEP CHEROKEE 97-01, VEHICLE-TO-TRAILER WIRING SYSTEM, Part # 13124
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/trailer-cord-harness-kits.html

"Vehicle to trailer wiring used to be a real chore- but now you can quickly wire your trailer with the Husky plug in solution. The modular system plugs together to accomodate most vehicle and trailer combinations. It's easy 1) Just select the correct wiring kit. (2) Locate the factory OEM tail-light wiring harness on the tow vehicle. (3) Unplug the wiring harness and simply plug in the Husky connector. This unit will be pre-wired to provide right turn, left turn, tail-light and on some models, the backup fuction. (4) Optional pre-wired 4-wire flat to 6-way round and 4-wire flat to 7-way RV Blade round extension adapters are available to custom install the vehicle side wiring to most trailer combinations."Vehicle to trailer wiring used to be a real chore- but now you can quickly wire your trailer with the Husky plug in solution. The modular system plugs together to accomodate most vehicle and trailer combinations. It's easy 1) Just select the correct wiring kit. (2) Locate the factory OEM tail-light wiring harness on the tow vehicle. (3) Unplug the wiring harness and simply plug in the Husky connector. This unit will be pre-wired to provide right turn, left turn, tail-light and on some models, the backup fuction. (4) Optional pre-wired 4-wire flat to 6-way round and 4-wire flat to 7-way RV Blade round extension adapters are available to custom install the vehicle side wiring to most trailer combinations."

1) Yes

2) Jeep part number 56009832 is a 7 pin set up

Buy a Cherokee specific plug and play trailer wire harness.

You may have to buy a 4 pin set up and add a 7-pin adapter.

Last edited:
1) Yes

2) Jeep part number 56009832 is a 7 pin set up

Buy a Cherokee specific plug and play trailer wire harness.

You may have to buy a 4 pin set up and add a 7-pin adapter.

Yeah, I can't find the 7 pin round setup. Does someone make a 7 pin RV round adaptor that will fit a flat 4 pin?

etrailer.com makes a plug-n-play 4 pin harness: http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2000_Jeep_Cherokee.htm

Yeah, I can't find the 7 pin round setup. Does someone make a 7 pin RV round adaptor that will fit a flat 4 pin?

etrailer.com makes a plug-n-play 4 pin harness: http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2000_Jeep_Cherokee.htm

Etrailer.com should have a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter. What it does is allows you to plug the 4pin harness into it, and they has the other the wires which you run to the brake controller, battery, and reverse lights so that you have functioning 7 pin wiring. I've seen them too where they have a 4 pin connector beside the 7 pin as a pass through too so you can plug in a trailer of either type once you have it wired up.

Note from DJ
My ’88 has the factory towing harness wiring set up. It has the 7 blade RV connector that is connected to relays that are located behind the spare tire. They can be located by removing the spare tire & then remove the plastic cover in front of the body cavity back there.
I think that if you purchase the OEM factor harness that Tim_MN posted [Jeep part number 56009832 is a 7 pin set up] and it is installed correctly all you will need is this NAPA adapter below.
This is all I have and my boat lights all work as they should, with no need for the 4 light to the 2 light conversion system. The relays do it for you.
NAPA Part Number: BK 7551560
Adapts 7 RV Blade Socket Into 4-Wire Flat On Trailer Side
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7551560_0006462383

I have a 7 pin with a flat 4 pin built into it. My utility trailer has the 7 pin on it (brakes & back up lights). My canoe/camping trailer just has a flat 4 pin...but it plugs right in to the side of the the 7 pin adapter.

I got it all at Wal-Mart.

Thanks everyone for your help, suggestions and ideas. I might try to see if anyone still sells the Jeep part 56009832. If not, then I will have to get creative. The salvage yard might be a good place to start.

Its not that hard, just get the flat 4 pigtail, and run the wires. I never saw wiring large enough for an electric brake circuit included with my jeep.

Back