• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idling

I run into the same problem and it actually stalls on me once and a while; same year and size. I can't put my finger on it either.

My 88' does that same thing. Starts up, idles as 800. than goes down to 400 and will bounce around there. Sometimes it stalls other times I'm fine. After I drive around for a while and get it warmed up it idles fine. I'm going to check everything out this weekend. Clean the throttle body really well, check the TPS, and check all the vacuum lines while I'm at it. Oh, only if the BIG storm doesn't wash me out. Juice

my xj was doing the same thing i replaced the TPS sensor and now its fine.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to check the O2 sensor. It may be improperly giving the wrong reading when the engine is in a cold start loop and is fine once it warms up. You may also want to start it cold and let it run for a few minutes, then check the plugs
to see if one is fouling

Back