• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM foglight swtich for Aux lights?

Yes as long as you use the switch to power a light relay and not the lights directly it should work fine.

The factory switch came wired to a relay. If your outfit had the factory fog lights, wiring should be present all the way to the bumper. Just connect and go.

The factory switch came wired to a relay. If your outfit had the factory fog lights, wiring should be present all the way to the bumper. Just connect and go.

Nah, no foglight wiring harness on my pos, i intend to use my kc wiring harness and connect to the OEM foglight switch instead of the kc switch.

Might be worth checking the setup depending on the year model ... as on my 97 & 98 models ...

The relay isnt there to provide voltage from the battery to the lights .... It provides voltage from the battery to the switch ...

... and the switch, still has to carry the full load of any lights connected.

Its basically the same woeful setup - as the headlights.

Last edited:
Take the factory pigtail behind the switch bezel (you'll have the plug for the switch, even though your Jeep didn't have fogs), and cut the purple and light blue wires, leaving extra wire on the plug side. Run a key-on power wire to the purple lead on the plug, and connect the light blue wire to whichever wire in the KC harness energizes the relay. Plug the switch in, and you're done.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/?action=view&current=fogWiringDiagram.jpg
Thx for the diagram....great help.
I just had a chance to read ur reply (after i pick up the switch)....too late with the pigtail.
I'm sure a little quickconnect should work.

Might be worth checking the setup depending on the year model ... as on my 97 & 98 models ...

The relay isnt there to provide voltage from the battery to the lights .... It provides voltage from the battery to the switch ...

... and the switch, still has to carry the full load of any lights connected.

Its basically the same woeful setup - as the headlights.

Thx but i'll be using the KC's relay as well as their harness.

And for those who have factory foglights you have two options.
One is to ground the red trigger wire for the relay thus allowing the fog light circuit to operate regardless of the high/low beams as long the headlight switch is on to parking lights.

Second is to move the red trigger wire from the high beams to the low beams thus changing the circuit to work only when low beams are off.

The red trigger wire can be found at the drivers side head light plug. There are two red wires one is the trigger the other is the high beam +. You will need to use a multimeter to determine which is which. The fog light trigger wire will have a small voltage on it with the head light switch on to parking lights.

Regardless of how you decide to set up your driving lights it is highly recommended that you use an additional relay to control the driving lights as the full current of any lights (including the factory lights) flows through the switch in the dash.

Back