• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold weather, 94 xj shuts off going down road after 1/4 mile.

xsubarudude

NAXJA Forum User
Lately durring this cold weather , I have been experiancing my 94xj shutting off as i go down the road. Any Ideas? Faulty O2? Code reader doesnt give any codes.

Last edited:
When it shuts off, what is missing, fuel or spark ?

When it shuts down, do you lose power and all the gauges go dead too? Does it start right up again or does it need to cool down?

Could be completely coincidental to the weather.

I have had ignition switch connector problems cause momentary shutdowns while driving (would come back on it's own or start right back up), and also once a failing CPS that needed to cool down before it started up again.

Neither gave nme codes.

I don't see an O2 sensor having an effect like this at all.

Only other time I had that recurring problem was 20 years ago (in my dreams it was only 20) when I was just out of school and too broke to keep gas in it.

Last edited:
i had a problem with the coil in my 1993 that would cause the same problem. The coil would get too hot and shut down. Would lose ALL power when it happened.
Does this happen after the engine gets to temp?

When it shuts down, do you lose power and all the gauges go dead too? Does it start right up again or does it need to cool down?

Could be completely coincidental to the weather.

I have had ignition switch connector problems cause momentary shutdowns while driving (would come back on it's own or start right back up), and also once a failing CPS that needed to cool down before it started up again.

Neither gave nme codes.

I don't see an O2 sensor having an effect like this at all.

Only other time I had that recurring problem was 20 years ago (in my dreams it was only 20) when I was just out of school and too broke to keep gas in it.
Thanks for the insights, I dont lose gauges, seems like i loose fuel pressure. but if it happens at HWY speed and i hit the gas , it jerks badly. so i dont know whats happening,, only in cold weather though.
It's interesting that you mentioned the CPS. I recently replaced the CPS , to try and resolve an issue, but it turned out to be the computer . i may put the old CPS back in and see if it helps the current problem.

Last edited:
i had a problem with the coil in my 1993 that would cause the same problem. The coil would get too hot and shut down. Would lose ALL power when it happened.
Does this happen after the engine gets to temp?
no actually once the engine is up to temp , the problem disappears.:confused: Im thinking it may be a fuel delivery issue.

94 xj shuts off going down road after 1/4 mile. (RESOLVED)

So after Brokensockets mentioned the CPS, I decided to check it out , turns out the CPS that i replaced a couple months ago, had somehow managed to get it's wirring harnes moved so that it was contacting the exhaust manifold, :confused1.
So needless to say the wire insulation melted and it was shorting out on the engine. I put the OEM CPS back in and problem fixed!.

Back