• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 axle shafts

InlandZJ

NAXJA Forum User
Were is a good place other than 4wheelparts to buy and upgrade from my beat up cvjoints to ujoint style shafts? Boots are torn and had seen enough offroad lol

Thanks

Yukon's are alittle pricey for me at the moment anyother brands alloy, or ten and is this a fairly easy swap? I never got this far into the rig yet i wheel it and want to be able to repair these things and not just close my eyes and send it off to the shop.

Thanks fellas

Grab a set or two of XJ oem shafts
Bonus: you get practice pulling them out of the junkyard, if you horribly screw it up the first time, you can just walk away

i have a brand new set of ten factory axles for a 30 i'd sell if i could find a good dana 44 candidate for the front!

mine are going for the low low price of one 12 pack of coors light lol. i might have some outers too gotta dig around in the garage. i'm going i beams with the new rig so i have no use for my d30 spares. stock xj ujoint shafts are a direct replacement for the zj cv POS ones, no mods needed just slap em in and be done with it.

stock xj ujoint shafts are a direct replacement for the zj cv POS ones, no mods needed just slap em in and be done with it.

Any idea if it's that easy with a WJ d30?

mine are going for the low low price of one 12 pack of coors light lol. i might have some outers too gotta dig around in the garage. i'm going i beams with the new rig so i have no use for my d30 spares. stock xj ujoint shafts are a direct replacement for the zj cv POS ones, no mods needed just slap em in and be done with it.

Coors light lol The silver bullet never slowed me down only the black and white behind me did and i paid for it. This sounds like the killer deal. is it the 27 spline stock i just need to toss the cv's they seen dishpan enough lol

yeah just stock shafts pulled out of a spare housing i had.

Brad, I can't say for sure but I am 90% positive you can throw XJ shafts in a WJ 30. check with the guys on NAGCA they know more about grands than I do :D

can the stock CV style shafts be retro fitted to accept better CVs? seems like the ultimate D30 axle shafts are the RCV shafts that use CVs also.

the RCV's cv shaft uses a bell shaped CV joint that completely wraps around the part connected to the stub shaft. this gives it greater range of motion and keeps it from pulling apart. a standard cv joint comes apart when you put torque on it when the steering is turned all the way. the joint pops out and tears up the boot then you're screwed.

i don't see how you could modify a stock shaft to make it any better other than doing what RCV does and casting and machining a new one.. at that point it becomes cheaper to just buy a set from rcv.

i will have to look closer at the stock CV shafts. and find out what size CV's they use. many sand cars and off road buggies use a 27 spline stub axle (very similar to ours) and a porsche 930 CV. and can handle up to 28 degree angles.(modified CVs) and have been used with LS1 engines with much more torque than we use. the "Bell" on the stub axle that covers the CV would do nothing to strengthen the CV outer housing, unless it is a press fit type of thing. from what i can tell, it is basically to delete the need for a rubber boot. instead the matched bell on the inner axle covers the stub axle bell and creates the dust seal. i am wondering if we (the xj folks) can adapt this technology from the sand car world over. use the 930 stub axles readily available at many offroad shops, coupled with a 930 CV. i just dont know if the dust boot will interfere with the D30 axle housing. if it wouldn't, i would think this would be a great upgrade.

i will have to look closer at the stock CV shafts. and find out what size CV's they use. many sand cars and off road buggies use a 27 spline stub axle (very similar to ours) and a porsche 930 CV. and can handle up to 28 degree angles.(modified CVs) and have been used with LS1 engines with much more torque than we use. the "Bell" on the stub axle that covers the CV would do nothing to strengthen the CV outer housing, unless it is a press fit type of thing. from what i can tell, it is basically to delete the need for a rubber boot. instead the matched bell on the inner axle covers the stub axle bell and creates the dust seal. i am wondering if we (the xj folks) can adapt this technology from the sand car world over. use the 930 stub axles readily available at many offroad shops, coupled with a 930 CV. i just dont know if the dust boot will interfere with the D30 axle housing. if it wouldn't, i would think this would be a great upgrade.
The RCV shafts require some clearancing of teh knuckle because of the size of the bell and boot. I am not sure if they use the same parts you mentioned. It seems to me that the RCV type joint would be good for a driveshaft. You would not need an sye.

Back