• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IT'S ALIIIIVE...well, sorta

bghurc

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a free xj from my mother in-law, thing is, it's been sitting in the driveway for almost 3 years. it's a 96 4.0 with 195k miles. I did a once-over on the chassis - which is in great condition - but the engine is a mess.

Before starting, I: installed a new battery, cleaned the wires, checked all spark plugs, changed the oil, and used HEET in the gas tank, then added Sea Foam to the oil.

My issue:

Once I got it started, I couldn't keep it running (bad gas probably), and it's squeeling like a raped pig. I figure trying to burn the rest of the tank then putting in some high-octane will help it run a little better...but the squeeling is an issue.

I sprayed some wd-40 on the pully's and belt tensioner and that seemed to help a little. The sound seems to be comming from the air conditioner-tensioner area on the left hand side of the engine. Everything is moving freely, but it still sounds like hell...any ideas?

Anyone in the Baltimore Metro area that wants to swing by and give me an opinion...feel free, beer will be used as payment of course :)

Greets; I've had a rear bearing go out on an alternator that 'squeeled'.., simple replacement job.., just takes time. Thing I do is to 'stethoscopically' listen around. Since I do not have a medical, or mechanic's super-duper official one I use a stick. By grabbing one end in one's fist brought up together to one's ear by placing end of stick on the mastoid bone, (behind ear flap), and from the fist one finger plugging up the ear canal.., one can easily point, and touch the free end, (guiding with the other hand), to any point of interest. So, being careful not to create a dangerous situation you should be able to quickly identify the actual issue, and then through deduction 'pin-point' the culprit. Could also be that your belts might be not under correct tension. If they deflect, as per back yard mechanicing of around 1/2" then that's close enough. Besides a loose belt, a 'glazed' pully, etc., can cause squeeling. Don't know a thing about your A/C. Where I live it's the first thing I toss. Could be that is your issue.

Pull the belt off and feel each pulley turn with your hand... This may help you find the culprit pulley.. The one with drag, or the one with looseness, sloppy play is your culprit.. Also if by some wierd chance its not a pulley, you can pull off the belt and start it for a very short time with no belt, then listen to see what you hear and go from there..... Good luck and dont forget to post your results....

Greets; I've had a rear bearing go out on an alternator that 'squeeled'.., simple replacement job.., just takes time. Thing I do is to 'stethoscopically' listen around. Since I do not have a medical, or mechanic's super-duper official one I use a stick. By grabbing one end in one's fist brought up together to one's ear by placing end of stick on the mastoid bone, (behind ear flap), and from the fist one finger plugging up the ear canal.., one can easily point, and touch the free end, (guiding with the other hand), to any point of interest. So, being careful not to create a dangerous situation you should be able to quickly identify the actual issue, and then through deduction 'pin-point' the culprit. Could also be that your belts might be not under correct tension. If they deflect, as per back yard mechanicing of around 1/2" then that's close enough. Besides a loose belt, a 'glazed' pully, etc., can cause squeeling. Don't know a thing about your A/C. Where I live it's the first thing I toss. Could be that is your issue.

I'll be sure to use that stick trick - in front of friends. I'll also make sure I fail to tell them someone told me how to do it b/c it will make me look hella smart :read:. This is a good idea. I'm going to give it a shot in the morning. I tugged on the belt and it might be a little loose, but it looks in good shape...time will tell.

T/y for the good directions!

Pull the belt off and feel each pulley turn with your hand... This may help you find the culprit pulley.. The one with drag, or the one with looseness, sloppy play is your culprit.. Also if by some wierd chance its not a pulley, you can pull off the belt and start it for a very short time with no belt, then listen to see what you hear and go from there..... Good luck and dont forget to post your results....

I was thinking this too. I'll be sure to update on my inevitable success ;)

belt may be stretched from sitting, could have rusty bearing too

turn off AC and that will reduce drag on the belt--if it stops squealing belt is loose

Tried it with a/c off and on, no difference. Just got back from removing the belt. My concern is that most of the pullys seem to spin effortlessly (almost too easy) but the crankshaft and alternator pullys wont budge...is that normal?

Tried it with a/c off and on, no difference. Just got back from removing the belt. My concern is that most of the pullys seem to spin effortlessly (almost too easy) but the crankshaft and alternator pullys wont budge...is that normal?
No, the alternator pulley should move freely. I think you've found your problem. Bearing probably rusted up sitting.

Skipped the jy today to get in some extra time at the gym, not even sure if it was open on MLK day anyway. I found a cheapy rebuilt Driveworks alt for $99 at advance auto. I'm wondering, pull one from the jy and not know what condition its in, or buy one from a store? Ideas anyone? I'm thinking about forking out the $99 just to cover my a$$.

Actually what I'd be inclined to do if you have time is to pull the old alternator and see if you can get it turning. If it unsticks it might be all right, at least for a little while, while you debug the rest of the vehicle. If not you lose nothing by trying. If you have a local automotive electrical shop around, and can wait a few days without the Jeep running, you can take it in there, and probably get it fixed up for a reasonable price, sometimes less risk than a parts store rebuilt.

The alternators from a '91- early '99 should be plug and play; the later '99 - '01 have a different wiring connector.
I'm not entirely sure where the 99 split is. My is from the earlier half of the year, but has the later connector. However, it's not hard to swap them as long as both alternators are OEM Nippondenso, and as long as the little studs aren't too rusty. They're pretty easy to shear off when they get old and rusty. There's no electronic incompatibility.

Looks like I'll be removing it tomorrow if I get a break in the weather. I'm thinking: remove battery and battery box, then try to access/slide it out from that side?

I'm gonna need some wd-40/PB Blaster, cuz all these bolts are snug. While its off, (if I get it turning) I'll take it to the auto parts store near by and have them test it...hope it works, that extra $99 can go towards bills.

Got it off! Finally had a nice day to do it. It took about 1.5 hours...mostly due to the rusty bolts and the fact that it may have been the least user-friendly alternator I've ever had to deal with. I think I invented a few new cusswords.

I saw some guy doing it on youtube ... f%$k him, that thing was a lot worse than his 2000.

Also found out that the old oil sending unit went bad and was replaced. I'll have to get some pictures up, 1/4 in. of caked-on oil covering the block :/. Once it's running, she's headed to the carwash fo sho.

Ordered a cheap-o Driveworks Alt. and a belt. Gonna get this thing running this weekend :guitar:. Any good ways to clean the engine? I was thinking of taking it to the carwash, spray some engine degreaser, rinse, then foam the crap out of it.

Back