• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirping Noise

'97_Red_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, as the title states, I am having an issue with a chirping noise coming from the front end of my jeep. It has been going on for over a year now, and I have had it checked out by two mechanics who both said it was nothing to worry about, but it is driving me crazy. I do not think it is in the engine anywhere because when I rev the engine at in neutral there is no noise. I think it is driveline related but I don't know what to check. Also it is much worse with cold weather and seems to be worse at greater speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I can hopefully get this issue resolved.

Hi, as the title states, I am having an issue with a chirping noise coming from the front end of my jeep. It has been going on for over a year now, and I have had it checked out by two mechanics who both said it was nothing to worry about, but it is driving me crazy. I do not think it is in the engine anywhere because when I rev the engine at in neutral there is no noise. I think it is driveline related but I don't know what to check. Also it is much worse with cold weather and seems to be worse at greater speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I can hopefully get this issue resolved.

Sounds like a bad double cardan joint in the front driveshaft. Easy way to find out is to remove the front driveshaft which is very easy just four bolts at either end of the driveshaft. I have had the double go bad on me twice and it sounds like a very angry sparrow when rolling that gets worse the faster you go. I am surprised the mechanics didn't think it was bad because if definitely is. If the the ball centering kit in the double cardan seizes up it will shatter and break and the driveshaft will fall to the ground and cause all kinds of mess. Like I said you can pull the driveshaft its very easy so don't be nervous if this is more than you have done before. You can either have the double cardan replaced by a driveshaft shop or you can pull a Junkyard shaft for a very low cost. My cousin picked up a used shaft at the local pull-a-part for $15 and it is running great!

That makes a lot of sense to me. I am familiar with removing drive shaft, I do have a couple questions though. One, can I run without a front drive shaft temporarily, and also do I need a new front shaft or can I just have new u joints pressed into the old one.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I am familiar with removing drive shaft, I do have a couple questions though. One, can I run without a front drive shaft temporarily, and also do I need a new front shaft or can I just have new u joints pressed into the old one.

You can run as long as you want and as fast as you want without a front driveshaft don't worry. You can either have the one you already have repaired or get a junkyard one. The junkyard route will be cheaper but there is some gambling on its condition and you could find yourself in the same position you are currently but I would risk $15 on that like my cousin did. But like I said which route you take is completely up to you.

Back