• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Doors lock intermittently

2CC4x4

NAXJA Forum User
the doors in my xj like to lock and unlock intermittently, either when one of the doors is open, or when I am driving. I have yet to leave the rig locked and come back to find it unlocked thankfully! my key fob also only works when it wants to, not sure if the two issues are related but their both equally annoying.During my search of the forum I did read something about all the locks being ran off the passenger door switch? Makes sense, when I took the passenger side panel off to work on the window, the lock switch wouldn't work on the driverside. Is it possible that the switch in the passenger door is just bad? Whats the best way to test it? any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

Last edited:
Drivers door wire harness problems are common with Cherokees. Remove the drivers door trim panel and inspect the wire harness for damaged wires, loose wire connectors, failed wire splices, and chafed insulation. Your symptoms point to a short circuit.

If all the wires in both doors pass inspections, you might consider replacing the drivers door master switch.

so the master switch is the driver side switch? If it is a short in the ds harness... think it has anything to do with the key fob only working when it wants.

Back