• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 external slave into '93 XJ - Master/Slave question before ordering parts

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully quick (and painless) question before I order parts...

I'm picking up a new-to-me AX-15 from a '99 XJ to swap into my '93 this weekend. I thought I was good to go and had everything ready to order but now I'm 2nd guessing myself. I should be set on everything except, possibly, hydraulics. I originally planned to get a pre-bled master/slave/hose assembly for a '99 XJ and use use this for the install but now I'm unsure if everything will work...

I believe I read that the bolt pattern for the later model master cylinder is different from the older master cylinder. Is the bolt pattern the only difference between older and newer master cylinders?

E.g. Will I just have to redrill the holes for the new master cylinder? Or are other modifications necessary (to the clutch pedal, etc) to get the pedal travel right? Or do both master cylinders have the same throw so it would just bolt right up to my clutch pedal and be good to go?

I did a bit more searching and some places seem to indicate that I would want to use the master/slave/hydraulic assembly from a '94 XJ which would make sense (older body style w/ external slave). Will take this route and hope for the best unless someone can correct me or offer a better solution.

Did you already get an external slave bellhousing?
When we did the conversion on my buddys YJ, we ended up using the old master with a new slave. He ordered some adapters to accomlish this.

I am picking up a '99 transmission on Saturday morning. Comes with the bellhousing and all (though I do have another spare external slave bellhousing available if needed).

I saw a writeup for doing this swap on a TJ that used a braided hose and several adapters (that were purchased from advance adapters). I wasn't sure if the XJ hose length was the same as the TJ and/or if there were any other compatibility issues. Also I'd prefer to order locally so I can get the parts sooner than later.

Checked some P/Ns on rockauto and it looks like the '93 and '94 master cylinders were the same. Only one of the manufacturers listed two different part numbers for '93 vs '94, (but the two P/Ns were only one digit off from each other: XXXXX8 vs XXXXX9, so whatever).

Looks like I should be able to run a '93 master and just buy the hydraulic hose and slave cylinders to save myself some money. :thumbup:

Now all I'm looking for is a P/N for that clutch fork clip (that holds the fork to the pivot ball). I know I found it before but I'm having a hell of a time doing so now.

I used the braided hose and fittings from AA on my MJ......they offer two different lengths and you'll need the longer one (or one made up locally that is that size). IIRC, it was 60".

Jeff

I used the braided hose and fittings from AA on my MJ......they offer two different lengths and you'll need the longer one (or one made up locally that is that size). IIRC, it was 60".

Jeff

Awesome, thanks. I'll keep that in mind if my current plan doesn't work. I have the hydraulics from a '94 XJ on the way and I'm pretty sure that will work for me.. if not I'll go to AA. :thumbup:

Back