• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 core rad. Do they exist?

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find a 2 core aluminum radiator. 1 core isn't cutting it, and 3 brass/copper couldn't keep up in 115 degree heat rush hour crawl. I recently read that my 98 with factory tow and heavy duty cooling package came with a 2 core. Not sure if this is true, but it seems like that's what it needs.

I already have Hesco water pump, flushed block several times and new hoses, stat and clutch.

Yes, yes they do. Any of the Advance Auto stores should have one as it is the stock replacement for a Heep w/AC.

But... If the three core brass/copper could not keep up it makes you wonder.

My complete setup:
3 core all metal radiator
185F T-Stat
Davies-Craig EWP115 electric water pump
Ford Taurus 2 speed fan
Factory fan wired to run by command from either the PCM or the EWP115 controller
72sq" of hood vent

The Heep operated between 195F and 201F pretty much regardless of what the ambient is.

That is an excellent price !!!!!!!! 96.10 shipped cant beat that. At least not that I have seen
That is for the stock style unit which has plastic end tanks. I very strongly recommend against these.

The all metal 2-row unit is $173 and i would very highly recommend it. I bought a similar radiator from completeradiators.com a few years ago and have been very pleased with it, although the price has gone up considerably since then. My only suggestion is to put teflon tape on the the drain valve, since we know better than to use that thing... :D

Last edited:
Thanks guys I appreciate it. I will be replacing my head when I do this as well, just to be sure I don't have a small crack or bad gasket causing some of the excess heat.

Locally I have tried AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly, and Hawks Radiator, all just have the OEM single core radiators. Doesn't make any since in the hottest city in the US.

I have a "heatbuster" 2 row used to be Modine I forget what they are now called; all copper/brass. almost 2X the price of stock alum/plastic but was well worth it. got mine from Advance Auto

That is for the stock style unit which has plastic end tanks. I very strongly recommend against these.

The all metal 2-row unit is $173 and i would very highly recommend it. I bought a similar radiator from completeradiators.com a few years ago and have been very pleased with it, although the price has gone up considerably since then. My only suggestion is to put teflon tape on the the drain valve, since we know better than to use that thing... :D

Just a quick word on radiatorbarn's customer service.....I replaced the rad in my TJ with one of those last November and the new one sprag a leak a couple weeks ago. Two quick phone calls and an e-mail to them showing the leak and I had a new-new one sitting on my porch the next day. I agree that the plastic tank design is cheap and probably should be avoided if you have a choice, but back when the OEM one died on me I needed a replacement quick and they were (and still are) the best price for them.

If the new one springs a leak, I'm gonna see if I can work a deal with them and upgrade to an all-metal one. Hopefully, I won't have to though :)

Jeff

i purchased a CSF all metal 2row from Autopartsnetwork on monday and had it on my doorstep yesterday afternoon (no install yet). I got mine for $145 and some change with free shipping. However, now that i look back at their website i see that they've raised their price to $220 within the past 2 days! talk about good timing...

I am trying to find a 2 core aluminum radiator. 1 core isn't cutting it, and 3 brass/copper couldn't keep up in 115 degree heat rush hour crawl. I recently read that my 98 with factory tow and heavy duty cooling package came with a 2 core. Not sure if this is true, but it seems like that's what it needs.

I already have Hesco water pump, flushed block several times and new hoses, stat and clutch.

If a 3 row brass radiator didnt keep it cool, a 2 row aluminium will not do the job.

I'd keep what you have and look at other cooling solutions - wire the second fan on full time, hood vents, better thermostat (this does not mean 'trick' thermostat - just a good 160 or 185 STANT, and as odd as it sounds, get rid of the hesco water pump in favor of an OEM unit.

Back