• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Color Options

fleaflicker225

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '87 XJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0, blah blah blah. I bought it used about 3 years ago. One of the previous owners had painted it black (you could tell from the over spray spots and cracking/chipping). I guess after they painted it they pulled the plastic off the bottom the whole way around the truck and never touched up the paint. The first time I gave it a bath (day after I bought it) I noticed a brown stripe (and some old body plastic glue) along the bottom where the plastic would be. It was a kind of shimmering dark brown and I figured it was probably the OE color. But I have never seen another one that color EVER, so I thought maybe someone painted it that color before the black. Since then the black has started to flake in many more places, showing even more brown paint. I pulled the carpet after it sat in a mud hole with water coming in the doors and the entire floor was the same color brown and found the rest of the inside metal was brown as well after I took the interior plastics out.

My question is, has anyone ever seen this color on an XJ before? And, does anyone know what Chrysler called this color if it was the factory color? Thanks in advance guys!

page-4

page-5

page-5

Fleaflicker225,

You'll need to upload your pics to a site like photobucket or imageshack to get them to post here. I couldn't post any of mine without going to a second site to post and then paste up the link to here.

Jeff

You should be able to find a color code on the ID plate in the engine compartment, I think. Not entirely sure where it is on an 87, but there should be something. There have been some unusual colors, including some that came as a special order at extra cost. My stepson had a 93 in something called "Canyon Blue Metallic," which I've seen since only a handful of times. The factory sticker we found in the glove box showed that someone paid $125 extra for it.

I'd look carefully at places like the inside of the hood, the door jambs, and the like. Somewhere behind a panel, or in some crevice, you should find original paint that wasn't covered by the repainting.

It's possible that whoever did the repainting reprimed some areas, and used a brown primer.

Fleaflicker225,

You'll need to upload your pics to a site like photobucket or imageshack to get them to post here. I couldn't post any of mine without going to a second site to post and then paste up the link to here.

Jeff

I had them uploaded to photobucket and the pasted the urls but the pics still didn't come up, then I tried flickr, but they still didn't work. I don't know what's going on.

I don't know what the problem there is, but the last of the three links worked as a link, and the other two worked when plugged into another browser tab as the URL. Anyway, it looks as if your Jeep was once brown, all right.

To "show the pics" you place the url in between [pic][/pic]

Back