• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Yoke Problem

justin_502

NAXJA Forum User
I been running a SYE kit for little over a year now, about a week after getting back from a trip to glamis I been hearing a loud chirp sound, Lifted the rear of the jeep up on jack stands and the sound sounded like it was comming from the driveshaft. I took the driveshaft off, ran the jeep and noise was gone. I went under the jeep and found chuncks of metal missing on the yoke where the U joint sits on., ill try to get a pic up soon. its a 90 xj with a ax-15 and a np231 transfer case. Was wondering what would cause this and also can you buy just the yoke seperate or have to get the whole kit? It was a while ago I think it was the advance adaptors kit. No marks or scoring on the u Joint.

Sounds like maybe your cv join on the driveshaft is binding.. I just found a site that offers a cv shaft with extra cut out but cant find it... Someone help me out..

Seems that was not the problem, after I got the yoke off it seems like where the u joint sits it has a cutout even on both sides, supposed to be there.
I think it might be the driveshaft making the noise. I took it apart today and the u joints looked ok, but the centering ball is kinda hard and clunky to move around. Im gonna replace that and put it back togather and see if that helps and while I have it apart ill just change all the u joints on the shaft.
I also was running 6* shims in the rear and come to find out that both center pins on the RE leaf packs were broke. So I ditched the shims and welded on new pearches where they need to be. I got new u bolts and center pins comming. And while I had the rear end off I got it all cleaned up and painted.
On the drive shaft one bolt was not very tight and another was too tight and had a hell of a time getting it off. Welded a box wrench to it to break it lose cause it was stripped. That worked.
This is the kit I need http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p425_jeep_cv_centering_yoke_1310_series.html but they are out of stock, napa has a kit for 80 bucks.

Back