• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving Dana 30 without axle shafts

Xhavier_5478

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short I am rebuilding a dana 30 regeared to match my rear end, well I still have the original dana 30 in the jeep, I was offered money for the complete axle if I would pull it. My question is I don't have the gears or carrier for the rebuilt axle, can I attach the hubs and put it back under the jeep to just sit on the wheels again, would it be inherently different from simply a 2wd beam axle?

You either need stub shafts or press out u-joints and run the outer shafts. But you can run it empy. I would do your best to seal/cover the inner tube so no crap gets in.

You either need stub shafts or press out u-joints and run the outer shafts. But you can run it empy. I would do your best to seal/cover the inner tube so no crap gets in.

This, I have run 200 miles home on the highway with only the stubbies in the housing. Like said, plug the tubes, pinion shaft hole to prevent moisture getting in and rusting it up.

When I wheel I carry a set of stubbies that I took out of a D-30 CAD axle that was being tossed. I left the u-joint ears on them so that I can insert a breaker bar through the holes and torque the axle nut to the specified 175ftlbs.

Back