• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter not working

SicNastyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so 01 sport automatic 4x4, just finished getting the motor reinstalled after a rebuild and as i'm getting ready to fire it up for the first time i get nothing as i turn the key to "start". The battery is good and fully charged, all the lights and electronics turn on as well as dim down when i turn the key to the start position but no action coming from the starter at all.

Both cables to the starter are hooked up and i can hear a click under the hood when someone else tries to crank it but i can't tell if it's a relay click or the solenoid.

Any ideas???

Clicking and not starting is usually a low voltage issue from one or more of these:

• leaving the lights on
• a failing battery
• a failing alternator
• dirty or loose wire connections
• internally corroded wires

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper functions.

I will try cleaning all the connections tomorrow. Anyone have a picture of the passenger side engine bay so i can make sure i have all the ground cables connected correctly? There are 2 grounds that each bolt to separate bolts behind the alternator on the block and there is also a ground that i think connects to the block that is in the big harness that runs from the battery down to the alternator and starter. I also have the ground strap coming from the firewall connected to the rear head bolt.

I might have to remove all the wire loom so i can look at each wire :dunno:

Actually already tried the hammer persuasion on the starter and no go but i think i know what it is and i feel stupid admitting it if it works.

I painted the block before reassembly and didn't sand the paint off the connection points on the block for the ground wires that attach to it........i'm thinkin this may be the issue.

I just had this problem. The XJ would crank over like the battery was weak. Everything was in perfect order. I found this thread http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1574
I took the starter to Oreilly's and they said it was bad. Took the starter apart and cleaned it and now its like new.

Put a multimeter on the small center post on the starter solenoid while somebody else turns the key. If you get 12v at the post, then the solenoid is getting power, and the problem is with the solenoid or starter motor. If you don't get any voltage on the post, then the problem is on the ignition circuit somewhere.

You can check your ground by looking at resistance between the starter mounting bolts and some other known ground point.

Last edited:
Back