• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MEASURE YOUR SWAY BAR!

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
After a trip to the yard in this 12 degree weather I feel like a complete idiot. I was under the impression that all XJ's came with a smaller front sway bar than their V8 ZJ sisters. My and I went to pick up a few odds and ends this morning. Grabbed an OEM CD deck, some roof rack bars, a front DS, and the front V8 ZJ sway bar with bushings. Thankfully the bar was only $22 or so.

Well, I went to install it this afternoon. After laying it on the ground underneath the stock one I thought, well damn, these look suspiciously like the same size. Grabbed the calipers and sure enough, they're both 28mm. :doh:

Moral of the story, NOT every XJ has the tiny tim sway bar. Some apparently come from the factory with the upgraded 28mm. Mine is a '99 Classic, no tow package. If you plan on upgrading make sure you stock bar is of the smaller flavor.

Mine is a '98 Sport and came with the 1" (25.4mm) front sway bar. I upgraded mine to the Addco 28mm bar with greasable poly bushings. Quite a difference in highway handling.....

93 and 24mm here too

Hmmm, mine came with the swaybar delete option :wave:

Factory sawzall edition

I believe all 97+ have the same ~1" bar. Only one bar and bushing in the factory parts listing.

Negative, mine had the 28mm already. And the ZJ and XJ ones are different. Barely, but the ends are definitely different.

We can argue whether it's approximately 26mm or 28mm, but there's only one front sway bar in the factory parts catalog for 97+ XJs.

My '00 Classic has a 25mm - ish bar ... and still does, plenty of bar for my needs and I do enough highway travel to still need it.

My 89 has a 25mm bar. When I go to long arms/better shocks I will probably pull it.

My '98 had 1" front and stock rear. Changed the front to the 28mm ADDCO. World of difference, saved my hide last week when had to swerve to miss a deer. Scary but controlled, kept the 4 32's on the road.

Back