• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue

kace86

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, everyone. I am having an issue regarding starting of my truck. The other day I was changing the oil and I goofed and bought the wrong oil filter (went with mopar brand), so when I went to start the truck a lot of oil spilled out from the filter and made a nice mess :doh: . This has never happened in the 7+ years of changing my own oil!

Anyways, after everything was cleaned up and put back together my truck would not start (fuel pump primed, nothing from starter no clicks no crank.). I noticed that the starter is close to where the oil filter goes and goes without saying that some oil did spill on it. After a few minutes the truck did happen to start and run, I drove it for a few days and now yesterday morning the same problem happened again, no clicks no crank from starter.

Is it possible that the solenoid could be fried from oil dripping onto it? Could it be the battery not supplying enough energy to power the starter?

INFO ABOUT MY VEHICLE:
1987 Jeep Comanche 4.0L Auto
Battery: 2 years old
Mileage: 213,000

Your input is greatly appreciated!

When the oil spluged from the oil filter you may have dumped some on the starter solenoid and some may have made its way into the starter causing a problem with the brushes....
If this is the problem.... you will need to disconnect power to the starter and use electrical contact cleaner to remove the oil from inside of the starter solenoid and from the starter brushes... Spray liberal amounts of contact cleaner into any access holes and blow out with compressed air....
Also check for loose or dirty connections at the starter/solenoid.

Back