• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd whining noise...

shad0vvfax

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a horrible whining noise when in 4wdHi and Lo. I have a 95 cherokee sport 4.0L HO with a 3" zone offroad suspension lift(new leaf springs, no AAL's). I do know my front axle u-joints are pretty bad from the clunking and clicking I will get sometimes when turning or accelerating from a dead stop, I have replacements. When I went to do my brakes I noticed the bolts holding the hub bearing assemblies on were so rusted I was not going to chance it with what little time I had. I also did not get a chance to put in my transfer case drop so that may play a part in it even though it is only 3" of lift. It seems to happen the faster I get going. I hope my front diff is not going bad. I read a ton of posts already but none for a 95, just wanted to be sure. I also did check the fluids in the front/rear diffs and t-case and filled as necessary.

Last edited:
When was the last time you changed the t-case fluid? The more you use 4wd, the more heat is built up in the case, which breaks down the fluid.

Do yourself a favor, start hosing everything you will need to check with penetrating oil now, makes it much easier when you get around to doing the work

I just got the car about a month and have yet to change the t-case fluid or diff fluids. I know all about PB blasting everything ahead of time from doing my suspension lift. It helped out a lot. I checked the fluid level in the t-case a few days ago and it was very very low. I could get my entire finger in there and almost touch the bottom till I felt some fluid, so I filled it up with all I had, which was ATF+4. I also notice a noise when accelerating from a dead stop, kind of like loud clicks from almost under my feet. It seems to be coming from the front driveshaft. I know I should change the u-joints on both shafts as well. Is there anything else on the front shaft that would need changed besides the u-joints?

I am getting a horrible whining noise when in 4wdHi and Lo. I have a 95 cherokee sport 4.0L HO with a 3" zone offroad suspension lift(new leaf springs, no AAL's). I do know my front axle u-joints are pretty bad from the clunking and clicking I will get sometimes when turning or accelerating from a dead stop, I have replacements. When I went to do my brakes I noticed the bolts holding the hub bearing assemblies on were so rusted I was not going to chance it with what little time I had. I also did not get a chance to put in my transfer case drop so that may play a part in it even though it is only 3" of lift. It seems to happen the faster I get going. I hope my front diff is not going bad. I read a ton of posts already but none for a 95, just wanted to be sure. I also did check the fluids in the front/rear diffs and t-case and filled as necessary.
Is this on dry pavement?

Is this on dry pavement?

x2 was just going to ask this. NP231 is a PART-TIME case. NP242 has FULL-TIME capabilities, but I wouldn't use it on hard dry pavement regardless.

The front axle loads up differently in 2WD (coast) vs 4WD (drive). Specifically the gears in the differential start rubbing the opposite side of the teeth, and if the gears haven't seen a lot of 4WD they will whine until they get broken in. Its normal.

Back