• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling Safety Reminder

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I just wanted to throw out a safety reminder.

I ran Cleghorn with two other Jeeps today. We stopped at Pucker Hill to have lunch and another group of Jeeps came up. One guy walked up Pucker and yelled to one of his friends, "Just keep it to the f*n left." At that point, I realized that it was not going to go well. I thought about walking over that talking him out of it, but they had the mentality that they knew better.

He gunned as soon as he hit the shelf in the middle.
Here's how he ended up.

cwvDm9asA3Lw9atmAbl5etGTDg

cwvDm9asA3Lw9atmAbl5etGTDg

The guys were kind of a panic mode. They kids and women with them, but not in the white Wrangler. I asked if they had a winch. They said, "yes" and immediately ignored me. At that time, I decided that they were on their own. I was not about to risk my safety nor my family's & friend's safety because they couldn't keep calm and think about the situation.

Then, two their Wranglers go the long way around to get to the top of Pucker. We just shook our heads. My dad decides to walk up around the short way to assess the situation. After about a minute, he yells down to me that the Jeep was shifting/moving.

I jumped in my Jeep and went up the shorter way with a YJ in our group who had a winch. We got into position. My Jeep was the YJ's anchor. We were almost setup when his friends came from the opposite side.

Here's a short video of the recovery. The first 15 secs is the actual recovery and the rest is just chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEmI7W4NQs&feature=youtu.be

I share this because I wanted to remind people of a couple of things.

1) Stay calm if something like this happens. Panicking can lead to more danger.
2) Wheel within you and your vehicle's limits.
3) If you are wheeling a new spot, take time to evaluate the obstacle.
4) Just because you have a big Jeep, it doesn't mean that you can climb anything.

I'm sure that there are many more Do's & Don'ts.

Happy & Safe Wheeling.

Elias

I thought they closed off pucker hill last year?

When I went up there a few months ago and it was. Today, the fence wasn't up. It also looks like the boulders that were blocking the off-shoot were also moved.

I guess you can add:
5) Keep is legal.

To their defense, it didn't look like it was supposed to be off limits.

Please remember - I did not know any of those guys. We had to make a quick decision to help them before anyone got hurt.

E

Oh yea not giving you shit for helping out.

At the toy run I noticed other closed off shoots that have been "re opened" so it seems like there is little enforcement on that trail atm.

I didn't think you were. I just wanted people to know that I have no association with those guys.

The medi vac /rescue helicopter was flying over head a few minutes after we got him on all fours. I think there may have been volunteers on rhinors or dirt bikes.

E

Looks like they are hitting switches(hydraulics). :)

Glad that nothing but egos were hurt during this one.

WAZZUXJ and I ran cleg yesterday and All I have to say is it's a shame to see soo many jackasses drinking while wheeling and wheeling through all the closed off shoots and making their own trails :(

They called medivac over that? Its not even a flesh wound

As for drinking and illegally wheeling closed trails, maybe those folks can do the rest of us a favor and take a shortcut down the switchbacks. There is really no excuse for this when more difficult wheeling is just up the pass. /rant

I can't agree with 1-4 enough monkey thanks for posting this. It's so important to know you and your rigs limitations.

The TJ had minimal damage. From what I could tell - cracked windshield, dented hood, broken side mirror and some deep scratches.

We did it backwards. We stayed away from the closed areas that were re-opened... EXCEPT for the v-notch. From the other side, it did not look like it was ever closed and we didn't know that we were going down to the v-notch. When it got rutted and harder, I realized that we were on the backside of the notch. We kept going because we couldn't turn around and we were close to the fire road.

When we got to the notch, we got out and spotted each other and took pictures as we came down. The Forest Ranger drove by when we were in the v-notch. We waved. They waved back and kept driving by. :dunno: I thought for sure that they were going to stop and cite or scold us.

As far as the medivac.. :dunno: They were circling us for at least two minutes after we noticed them. I'm pretty sure they were still circling as we left, which was a minute or two after that..

E

I'm his son in law...he told me today about what happened...funny that u posted it...pretty shitty of them to not even say thanxs

Gotcha..

Yeah.. The nicest thing I can say about those guys is that they were all dimwits (except the kids. they get a free pass.).

I posted this up because I don't want people in this club to be "that guy." I'm into having fun, but safety comes first in my eyes.

Ask your father-in-law about leaning over soooo much that he could have picked up the sandwich that was on the ground.. ;) He was riding with my dad in his TJ... :rtm:

Besides this little mishap, it was a fun day..

E

Last edited:
I'm his son in law...he told me today about what happened...funny that u posted it...pretty shitty of them to not even say thanxs

Jeepers help other Jeepers. :thumbup:

Back