• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire size and gearing dillema

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
so i know this is kinda in the wrong forum, but i figured it would be best to ask the people who drive on the same trails i do (corral canyon, truckhaven, etc).
For those of you who don't know, i got a parts jeep with a dana 44 rear and dana 30 front, both with lockers and chromoly axles, and 4.56's. it also came with 35's, although they arent in the best of shape, a few chunks taken out. 2 probably need to be replaced.
My jeep has 31x10.5 mud terrains which are a few weeks old. It has a 4" lift, and i have enough parts to do a 5.5 or 6" lift. I also have bilstiens on there, which are new and wouldnt be long enough for more lift.
So my dillema.. i can do one of 4 things.
1. i can lift it 6", throw on the 35's, and keep the 4.56 gearing
2. i can trade the 4.56's for some 4.10's or something, and keep the 31's and 4" lift
3. keep the 4.56's and try to sell both sets of tires and wheels and buy a set of 33's, then try and fit them under the 4" lift
4. keep the 4.56's, 4" lift, and 31's, but suffer on the highway (i typically do about 80).

any suggestions from people who have had similar setups and drive where i do?

option 3

i'm putting on long arm setup and coils in the rear so i was a little concerned i couldnt go a whole lot bigger with the tires without doing some serious hacking. is 4" going to be enough lift?

You'll probably have to cut a bit to get them to stuff, but it could work.

The best setup I ever had on my XJ was 4.56 gears, 32" tires, and 4.5" lift.

31's wouldnt be that bad, not as bad as you think - just give it a try.

Just ran the calculator.

4.56 gears, aw4, 31" tires.

MPH - RPM

25 - 927
55 - 2039
65 - 2409
70 - 2595
75 - 2780
80 - 2965

Those are not unreasonable RPM's for the 4.0. You may find gas mileage actually goes up a bit, because you arent hitting the throttle as hard. If nothing else, economy wouldnt suffer from it.

Cal, i have an ax15, but i presume the final ratio is about the same. I was only worried about the 4.0 sitting at 3k for an hour straight since i know they aren't high revers. mine's got 216k on the clock and burns a little oil already, although the oil pressure is good so i'm guessing the bearings are decent.

Souske, let me try it out with the 31's and i'll let you know. actually i have spare 4.56 gears anyways, i might just trade the spares.

They are totally high revvers, thats bad info. ;)

Your numbers would be a little higher. Final drive on an aw4 is .75, ax15 is .79 or .80 depending who you talk to.

Option 4...and slow the hell down. :D

2. i can trade the 4.56's for some 4.10's or something, and keep the 31's and 4" lift
3. keep the 4.56's and try to sell both sets of tires and wheels and buy a set of 33's, then try and fit them under the 4" lift
4. keep the 4.56's, 4" lift, and 31's, but suffer on the highway (i typically do about 80).

Go big or go home. :D

Honestly I don't think 4.56 is enough gear for 35's/AX-15 in the rocks
I like my 4.10/33/AX-15 combo on the street, but still find myself wishing for more gear in the rocks
4.56 would be better, but in the end I think some kind of crawl box will be the ticket.

Those responding that have AW-4's, driving a manual in the rocks is a whole different ballgame

Those responding that have AW-4's, driving a manual in the rocks is a whole different ballgame
i agree with that. i have 3.06's now with the 31's and i have to slip the hell out of the clutch in 4 low on most stuff.

i figured 4.56's with 35's would still be lightyears above what i have.

Go big or go home. :D
even with the 31's i've been a little too close to flopping for comfort. as much as i'd like to clear stuff that is a bit agressive for 31's, i like a lower center of gravity. I'm really on the fence here.

Another thing is i dont want to have to take myself into really dangerous situations just to feel challenged. I know, i should have painted my jeep pink.... :)

even with the 31's i've been a little too close to flopping for comfort. as much as i'd like to clear stuff that is a bit agressive for 31's, i like a lower center of gravity. I'm really on the fence here.

Another thing is i dont want to have to take myself into really dangerous situations just to feel challenged. I know, i should have painted my jeep pink.... :)

I am in that same frame of mind. i too am getting ready to start my build and am on the fence between 32" or 33" tires. all i want is to be able to stay with the group, but i have no shame in taking an easier line, as long as i can keep with the group to the end. i have done the challenging of myself and my rig in my younger years. now i just want to watch and video everyone else, and of course teach my kids all about the sport/hobby we all love. i will be watching this thread close to see what the other that have the knowledge have to say and advise.

Back