• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SWR Meter

Yah, they're about $40 from Radio Shack now it looks like. I've heard certain truck stops have them for people to use, but not really sure how accurate that is.

Its all relative un less your planning on running thousands of watts... as long as you dont have a dead short which is a 3 on a meter you will be fine!

Its all relative un less your planning on running thousands of watts... as long as you dont have a dead short which is a 3 on a meter you will be fine!

Firestik makes it seem like the whole thing will catch fire and melt if the antenna isn't tuned properly, but that just might be CYA. I'm running a standard Cobra 19 radio, nothing fancy or high powered.

Bah, just make sure the cable isn't kinked or wrapped around itself. You'll be fine. SWR is for other stuff, if you ask me, not trail rigs. :)

I don't agree. I've found time after time that a well tuned CB will outperform one not set up properly. Where you notice this most is in a large group running a lot of different radios. The better tuned they are the better they seem to behave with everyone else.

Yea, I'm not saying that tuning it isn't better, but I've never had an issue with mine. I "home tune" it by lopping off whatever amount from the antenna that makes 19 come in strongest, and go. With my Firestik, I just plugged and played.

I guess a good tune would be cool. :p

Back