• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Brake Caliper mounting - 89 XJ LTD

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
This is going to seem like dumb question (one that I thought I had asked before but can't find it just now) so please bear with me...

I put the calipers back on my 89 XJ last night. I notice that one of the calipers (don't remember which one is which at this point) slips into the 'carrier' bottom and the caliper rotates up into position, while the caliper on the other side slips into the 'carrier' top and rotates down into position. Seems a bit odd. The caliper pins all line up and everything installed OK but it just seems weird to me that the calipers don't install the same way on both sides. Does this seem weird to anyone else?

make sure both calipers are on the correct side (bleeder is at the top) and you didn't get two of the same calipers. They will install upside down and on the opposite side.

Yep, the calipers are back on the same sides they came off (I didn't disconnect them from their brake hoses) and the bleed nipples are both up.

OK, I get the sense that I may be nuts so I thought I'd post a few photos to illustrate what I'm seeing.

The first photo is of the left caliper - note where the caliper 'locks' into the bottom of the 'carrier' (unfortunately the top of the photo is slightly clipped so it's not obvious that the top of the caliper is not 'locked' into anything -but it does 'butt' into the top of the carrier - the same way the bottom of the right caliper butts into it's carrier).
Left-1.jpg

The second photo is of the right caliper, clearly showing that it's the top that locks into the caliper with the bottom not locking into anything.

Right-1.jpg

Both calipers are fully 'pinned' into their carriers.

As long as both screws are in you're golden. The caliper "floats" back and forth on the pins. It needs to slide against the mount, not lock to it.

Back