• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Tank Skidplate idea? Thoughts?

DaveNJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at the cost of aftermarket fuel tank skidplates and I think I've come up with a much cheaper alternative. I already had previously installed a stock skidplate long ago. I recently purchased another stock skidplate, cut everything but the bottom off the second skidplate, and welded the bottom of the second skidplate to the original skidplate. Thus a double thick skidplate for around $40 (the cost of the plate and cut-off wheels).

Came out .... ok. Your thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

You'll be fine. It's been done a hundred times.

I have though about adding a covering uf UHMW polypro to the bottom of my stock skid. THis is the plastic that is used on snowmobiles as the track bearing. Stuff is tough. Pricey, but tough...

When I still had the gas tank in the stock position, I beefed up the stock gas skid. I added angle iron and gussets to the sides to support the skid. The center section on the skid got more angle added to increase the rigidity across the large open area. If I had kept the skid longer, I was planning to added pieces of UHMW inbetween the angle to help it slid off rocks. It took a couple good shots coming off ridges and such, held up great. HERE is the link to how I built it.

4vg3ue.jpg

Back