• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 tcase w/242 aw4 tranny??

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
any threads or facts on this- i have a 242 w/sye aw4 tranny, can i just simply swap to the 231 w/ sye to existing tranny and no issues tieing them together or will i need to convert my tranny to accept the 231, thanks ahead

It will depend on your tranny year and the donor t-case year!

I believe it should work. The real problem is what spline count is it. I had to rebuild the 231 in my last XJ. Found a guy selling a 231 out of a totaled '98 TJ, and it only had 40k on the case. The input on his case was different than mine, so we had to search through his parts bin to find an input shaft that was better than mine since the PO had decided not to check/change/add fluid to the case and it wore the chain out, as well as started to wear into the case. Swapped gut parts, but basically put a good one together, and I put almost 80k on it prior to wrecking the XJ it was in. Just make sure your spline counts are the same and you should be good to go.

Jeff

thanks jeff, hopefully i can find or someone can shoot me a link of when they started to change the splines, i want to think its when they changed most ie-90/91-95/96 ect..

in the "frequently asked questions" section under "which transfer case do i have" it states the 21 spline was years 87-89. and the 23 spline years are the 90-01. and all the jeeps i have checked, and from all of what i have read, this seems to be correct. BUT, this doesnt mean you wont find a 21 spline aw4/231 in a 90+. swaps have been done. that said, i think it is a safe bet that your 91 and donor 93 are the same. as long as they are original equipment.
by the way, what is wrong with your 242, why do you want to swap?

/\ this is true, however in the tj's with the 4cyl the spline count for the input shaft was 21 and for the 6cyl it was 23. i think i may have read somewhere that the same is true for xj's. but i'm not 100% on that. but the tj's i am.

in the "frequently asked questions" section under "which transfer case do i have" it states the 21 spline was years 87-89. and the 23 spline years are the 90-01. and all the jeeps i have checked, and from all of what i have read, this seems to be correct. BUT, this doesnt mean you wont find a 21 spline aw4/231 in a 90+. swaps have been done. that said, i think it is a safe bet that your 91 and donor 93 are the same. as long as they are original equipment.
by the way, what is wrong with your 242, why do you want to swap?

i wanna put the 231 in mine as its more a weekend worrior than a dd, ive been led to believe the 231 is tougher than the 242, i will have to do an sye as i am currently runnin one too!

.... ive been led to believe the 231 is tougher than the 242 ....

On paper that may be true, but on the 4x4 trails there is no difference. 231 or 242 can use a Hack & Tap SYE. 231 can use a HD SYE. For most Cherokee owners, the difference between H&T and HD SYE is simply your budget, available tools, or install skills. They both work.

On paper that may be true, but on the 4x4 trails there is no difference. 231 or 242 can use a Hack & Tap SYE. 231 can use a HD SYE. For most Cherokee owners, the difference between H&T and HD SYE is simply your budget, available tools, or install skills. They both work.

tougher meaning ive heard no sye just the basic units against each other! thought the 231 was lil beefer? hmmm than why trade ya know! as i currently have a spare 242 w/ no sye, hmm!

so w/ lil resurch, i have a 91 HO xj, (BUT) my tcase is a 90 as my rig is on the border! telling me w/ ur guys info i have a 21 spline (without inspection)! so my spare tcase (95 xj) is of no use!

next question-any way to read the tcase badge w/out taking apart donor rigs tcase to know the the spline count ect???

Back