• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me ID some aftermarket parts

Monster Mopar

NAXJA Forum User
So today I attempted to replace my driver side hub assembly. Everything came apart really easy. It had obviously been apart in the near past by the previous owner. This was until I went to remove the axle nut, with a firm foot placed against my standard length ratchet I gave it a couple good pushes and the end of the axle twisted right off :eek:

CIMG0938.jpg

CIMG0934.jpg

Now according to the previous owner the owner before him put in after market cromoly axle shafts. But I have no idea the make on the shaft. Can anyone here ID this axle shaft :confused:

CIMG0940.jpg

CIMG0937.jpg

CIMG0936.jpg

CIMG0935.jpg

Also what about this axle tube seal? Where can I get replacement ruber seals only??

CIMG0941.jpg

I know that the axle tube seals are good, I need to replace the rubber seal that goes inside it, mine has a tear in it. I was hoping to ID the make so I could get a replacement seal for the inside.

I'm hoping that some one might be able to ID the make of the shaft as I'm sure a failure like this would be under a warranty. Seems like a very unusual place to fail.

Those dont look like chromo shafts to me. If theye are they will have some type of number on it identifying what the material is. Also I doubt that they are under warranty for any type of breakage. They look pretty used up judging by the wear on those splines.
You should just be able to buy a new outer shaft who ever makes it. You do have a little bit of "play" length wise to play with. Not much though

well, they definately aren't stock, haha. It never hurts to try to get them warrantied. I'm actually thinking they might be USA Alloy because of the black anodizing. They are the only company that I've seen that advertises that they annodize the shafts.

I don't think the splines are that bad, could be the picture. I'll take another look though.

Ok, so the splines don't look bad at all but those threads for the nut look about totaly fubar from the pics. With the size that those shafts are I don't see any way you twist off that much steel unless there was some serious heat used on it. Not to mention fresh broken steel is not dingy black like that. I'm not critisizing you here.
The next question then is how much money are you willing to throw at this to fix it.
If it's worth it to you, you may be able to get new alloy outer shaft/s for it. If not, it's off to the junkyard you go and pull a couple of stock shafts to get you moving again.
About the axle seal, if you can pop the seal out of the housing there should be a part number stamped somewhere on it. A good parts house should be able to cross reference it to a replacement.
Good luck

Yea I was shocked to hell to find the end of the shaft had twisted off. I used no heat, my tourch is at my shop which is a 45 minute drive from where I'm doing the work (In the driveway of the house I'm renting). Anyways with how much heat that would have had to been applied it would be obvious that heat was used from the severe discoloration.

I bought the Heep, last January, with these axles already installed so I'm not sure what the installer did.

But no joke it twisted right off with a standard length snap-on 1/2" drive ratchet and my foot pushing on it. The break is not as dirty as the picture makes it look, plus some grime got in there when I was washing down the axle looking for a part number.

I'll purchase new chromo stub shafts if I have to, but why spend the money if I can get these warrantied, I feel like most of the replies are failing to see this point. I'm not one to throw money at something because there's a small road block (i.e. unable to identify the manufacturer of the part). I'll look for a couple of days, and then but new ones to get it on the road then continue looking, if I'm successfull I'll have a spare set of chromo stubbies, if not I'll have a single spare.

btw, I'm not new to wrenching I was a diesel mechanic for over 10 years before quitting to go back to college.

Thanks, for the tip on the seals and the reply

years ago i bought some yukon front and rear chromo shafts and none of them had a part number or material number stamped anywhere on them.

to the OP wish i could help you out man but i have no idea what brand they are. all i can tell is they are definitely not stock. i'd just give USA alloy a call and ask them. worst they can do is say no.

arent most chromos machined in side the stub where the ear of the inner shaft goes for clearance? those look like spicers to me, but the machining for full circle clips says otherwise.. either way the shafts wont be warrantied since nearly every warranty ive seen on stuff like that is to the original purchaser only.

The axle seals are Alloy USA. I put a set on my D30 about a month ago.

HTT

Thanks, after looking at a bunch of pictures I started to think the same thing

I don't know if the warranty would even be transferable but regardless without documentation of the actual purchase of the shafts I highly doubt you could get them warrented even if you can find out the manufacture.

Yea, I figured this would be my biggest road block, but you never know unless you try. the worst they're going to say is no

years ago i bought some yukon front and rear chromo shafts and none of them had a part number or material number stamped anywhere on them.

to the OP wish i could help you out man but i have no idea what brand they are. all i can tell is they are definitely not stock. i'd just give USA alloy a call and ask them. worst they can do is say no.

I have some yukons in the rear axle as well and like you said they have no markings on them.

arent most chromos machined in side the stub where the ear of the inner shaft goes for clearance? those look like spicers to me, but the machining for full circle clips says otherwise.. either way the shafts wont be warrantied since nearly every warranty ive seen on stuff like that is to the original purchaser only.

I'm not sure what you mean about being "machined in side the stub where the ear of the inner shaft goes for clearance?" have a picture?

I started digging through all the paper work I recieved with the jeep and I found the craigslist add from the owner that installed the axles. The add states:

original craigslist add said:
It has a D30 front axle with ARB air locker 4.56 Yukon gears and cromoly axles.

It doesn't state specifically that the axles are Yukon but it seems to say that they are as well. What's your take?

It doesn't state specifically that the axles are Yukon but it seems to say that they are as well. What's your take?

without documentation of the actual purchase of the shafts I highly doubt you could get them warrented even if you can find out the manufacture.

wouldn't waste my time trying to find out where they came from unless you're just trying to get some other brand.

i think he means around the ears of the shaft are machined down a little bit to accept full circle clips rather than using c-clips

Back