• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Belted

nitejohn

NAXJA Forum User
Well the compressor clutch froze up finally on my 99 4.0L. Ac hasn't worked for years anyway. What I'm asking is does anyone know if I can just get a different belt and get rid of the compressor? Any problems with extra idler pullys etc? Thanks

I looked into this a few months ago when mine locked solid and broke the belt 45 miles from home. Apparently there is only 1 belt length and routing for the 4.0l. If you don't have A/C, then there is a pulley that mounts where the compressor does to make the belt go the same way. No one had one of those, and I was planning on fixing it anyway, so I just picked up a new compressor and installed it to get me home.

The correct solution is to get the A/c compressor by-pass pulley that takes the place of the compressor and you keep the same belt and belt routing. DORMAN Part # 34237

The correct solution is to get the A/c compressor by-pass pulley that takes the place of the compressor and you keep the same belt and belt routing. DORMAN Part # 34237
This is your best option. If you are hell bent on loosing the AC Compressor and not installing the pulley you could have a custom length belt made.

This is your best option. If you are hell bent on loosing the AC Compressor and not installing the pulley you could have a custom length belt made.

haha, "get a custom length made". Most of the lengths are at the parts store. You get a string and wrao it around your new belt drive system, measure the length of string, thats close to the belt length. Measure/convert to mm, most belt p/n's are actually the length in mm's, ie 975K6 is 975mm with 6 grooves.
Now back to the XJ AC pulley, you can't just get a shorter belt, you need the AC-delete pulley or a good compressor to route the belt up and over the t-stat housing, etc.

If it is not the compressor, but a froze pulley bearing... I did a write up a while back on using a older model Sanden Pulley Assembly (replaceable bearing) on a 97 and up XJ. Essentially, you locate an XJ with the same style compressor but pre 97, and swap everything from the Clutch forward. The Clutch flex plate won't fit, but that's OK, just clean up your old one with a file and reassemble.

The bypass pulley listed, though not listed in any book for a 97 and up should work. There were two, one for AC bolts pointed down, and one for AC bolts from the front.

I don't know about the belt length, sorry.

Neither my 96 or 00 xj took a stock length belt

Just sayin..........

Thanks guys, I think I'll be going with the Dorman pulley, that way I can dump the compressor, condenser and hoses too eventually.

Any idea what it costs? ballpark guess?

I don't know, I suppose you could look it up on the oreillyauto.com or NAPA-Online site.

Most folks hold onto their AC as long as they can, it is a great convenience and drys the incoming air on wet days to keep the windshield clear.

Or they convert it to an OBA system. Nice to have compressed air on demand :D

I was able to get just the bearing from Motion Industries; carquest could also "get it" but we were talking 2-3 days wben Motion got it (by number on old bearing they dont have application giude) next day, though Carquest would have been a few $$ cheaper

haha, "get a custom length made". Most of the lengths are at the parts store. You get a string and wrao it around your new belt drive system, measure the length of string, thats close to the belt length. Measure/convert to mm, most belt p/n's are actually the length in mm's, ie 975K6 is 975mm with 6 grooves.
Now back to the XJ AC pulley, you can't just get a shorter belt, you need the AC-delete pulley or a good compressor to route the belt up and over the t-stat housing, etc.

Hmm, all the belts I sold at O'Reilly's were measured in inches and have a very similar part number. 97.5" 6 grooves.

Back