• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Rear Tire Carrier off 84 Cherokee

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a line on a Stock Rear Tire Carrier off 84 Cherokee. Looks just like this one:
13486d1267238386t-factory-tire-carrier-problem-1987-xj-007.jpg

I was planning on only going with a 3" lift and 31" tires max. This should work well for something like that right?

It's still installed so I would be able to remove it myself and get all the brackets, bumper, braces, etc. What's a good price for something like this if it works for me.

BTW, I did search alot before posting this thread and couldn't find my answer. I might not be the best searcher, but I tried.

Anything that can be done when I'm installing it to beef it up and make it better? I'm not excited about drilling holes in the sheet metal, but if it works for me it will be a much cheaper alternative than a custom rear bumper with a carrier.

If you get it, grab the rubber bumper off the hatch. Theres a reinforcement behind the top hinge thats pop riveted on the inside and above the taillight and one for the lower hinge behind the bumper and bolted to the body. The original bumpers for tire carriers have a reinforcing plate welded inside where the lower hinge attachs.

grabbed one at the local pick-n-pull for $50.00 and paid $25.00 for the rear bumper. Had to pull it myself, but that is what I wanted-- made sure everything was complete and nobody else had the chance to booger up any of the bolts.

31" tire is pushing the realistic limit for it if you are offroading, but it would be fine for regular duties, IMHO.

The only problem I've had with those is mounting a factory off-set wheel with a tire larger than a p225/70-15. A p235 on a stock wheel requires partial deflation to mount it on the carrier.

The only problem I've had with those is mounting a factory off-set wheel with a tire larger than a p225/70-15. A p235 on a stock wheel requires partial deflation to mount it on the carrier.

Or if you have a wheel spacer you can use one to extend the studs, so you don't have to deflate the tire and make it useless.

Or if you have a wheel spacer you can use one to extend the studs, so you don't have to deflate the tire and make it useless.
Thought about cutting the box section and scabbing in extensions a time or two. Maybe move it up a bit, also.

Back