• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 4.0 5sp 4x4 4dr Red , only starts if I floor it

Bigjfb

NAXJA Forum User
If I hold it to the floor while I start, it fires right up but I have to keep goosing the pedal to keep it running until warm. It coughs out some funny (rich) smelling smoke at first and then smoothes out and idles fine. Runs around town fine. I have an a new Idle air control to put on there ( at the advice of a Mercedes tech who looked at it) , is there anything else I should be doing?

This is a fresh Mopar rebuild with less than 15k on it. About 5k of those miles are on Mexican gas, wonder if I should run some injector cleaner in there, spray some stuff on things, replace filters too?

Also my gas cap releaves what seams to be waaay tooo much pressure when I open it. Clogged vent somewhere? WIll that hurt anything?

Holding gas to the floor is the way to start a flooded engine (interrupts the fuel injectors)...sounds like you're getting too much gas or too little air for some reason.

Holding gas to the floor is the way to start a flooded engine (interrupts the fuel injectors)...sounds like you're getting too much gas or too little air for some reason.

Thanks Flyfisher, FYI I bought this XJ in Billings from Underriner, about 10 years ago. STill have my permanent Mt reg and plates

Note from DJ
Does this happen on both cold and hot startups?
Flyfisher is 100% write about throttle to the floor clearing flooded engine!

Only cold starts. For some reason it decided to start this morn w/o a hitch, just needed some goosing of the gas to stay running until it warmed up.

OK, new Idle Air control deal on there, cleaned throttle body and ran some injector cleaner in there and now everything works great.

Back