• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 swap traoubles

crutch

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 xj that had a ax-15 tranny, I swapped in a 94 aw4 tranny. I am going to use a radesign shifter. My trouble is now when i start the jeep it will idle fine but when i give it gas it will start to back fire and and then it has a rough idle. i can kill the motor and restart it and it idles fine, and it only seems to back fire above 2000 rmp. I got a new 94 flex plate, but was wondering if it was my cps. I'm using the 93 cps. Any advice would be a great help. I still have the jeep on jack stands and no driveshafts hooked up.

do you have your VSS connected up yet? I have heard of issues with running when the VSS isn't connected, though I tested the idea and it didn't give me any problems.

As long as you didn't damage the CPS it should work fine and the 91-95 flexplates are all the same. Even the 96-01 flexplates are the same, or rather, if you buy a 91-95 now, they will give you a newer one, as they improved the design.

VSS = vehicle speed sensor, sorry. It's mounted on the driver side of the rear output housing on the transfer case. '90 and earlier XJs/MJs have a speedo cable adapter in its place.

Thanks for info. Yes I have it hooked up. I have also add a 231 d300 doubler. I am using the vss out of the 231, and put in into the dana 300 since i am not using the back half of the 231. I switched the plastic gears of the vss. Do you think that that would make it run bad? I have also not hooked up the eletric shifter yet.

There are different ECUs, but on a 96 and earlier it won't really matter whether it's an auto or a manual ECU. I'm running the stock A/T ECU on my 5-speed converted 91 MJ.

It might be an O2 sensor but I doubt it.

do you have your VSS connected up yet? I have heard of issues with running when the VSS isn't connected, though I tested the idea and it didn't give me any problems.

As long as you didn't damage the CPS it should work fine and the 91-95 flexplates are all the same. Even the 96-01 flexplates are the same, or rather, if you buy a 91-95 now, they will give you a newer one, as they improved the design.

the desighn is the same, just diffrent part #'s, and my jeep has no vss and i know of others without em and no running issue

My 92 was originally a 5 speed. I swapped in a newer AW4 (98?), and it runs fine. I used the cps from the 5 speed, it bolted right in. I did not touch the ecu, and I have not yet hooked up the vss. I have not installed any TCU. I am using a rail shifter instead. I suspect your CPS. There were no problems before the swap?

Thanks again everyone for the info, and no there was no problems before the swap. The jeep has been sitting since the first of sept. but it has been started a few times before the tranny swap, and i didnt notice any problems. I am also using the rail and baja shifters with no tcm.

the desighn is the same, just diffrent part #'s, and my jeep has no vss and i know of others without em and no running issue
yeah far as I know they just improved it a little or something.

I agree, I heard from Colin (I think?) that the engine would run funny if the VSS wasn't connected. Tried it on my 96 and never noticed a difference.

yeah far as I know they just improved it a little or something.

I agree, I heard from Colin (I think?) that the engine would run funny if the VSS wasn't connected. Tried it on my 96 and never noticed a difference.

travis hasnt had his hooked up since the atlas swap, and the 2 previous owners of the atlas ran it like that to, i belive chris said is motor would want to die out coming down from speed but that was it

Well I found the problem. I replaced the cps and cleared the codes and it runs fine for right now!! I hope this weekend to get the drive shafts built and the shifter hooked up. Does anyone know the colors of the wires on the aw4 for the tq lock up and the shifting solenoids?

Well I found the problem. I replaced the cps and cleared the codes and it runs fine for right now!! I hope this weekend to get the drive shafts built and the shifter hooked up. Does anyone know the colors of the wires on the aw4 for the tq lock up and the shifting solenoids?

go-jeep has it all on his site as i have currently forgotten it!

Back